Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a old CB Radio and an older hand held GPS. They are about 14-15 years old. I am looking at updating to the more modern age.

I am wanting a two way radio that has a handset and can plug into my remote speaker.

I was looking at this unit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FN2FBML/?coliid=I1CH13FB8PE2GK&colid=3LXJFVW6N74EW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For off road navigation I am not sure what works best, is updateable, and won't cost me as much as my Jeep is worth. I am not opposed to a hand held unit, but a big screen would be nice.

FYI, I have been looking to get an iPad type device anyway so I could use that with a GPS antenna.

I can read reviews on Amazon all day, but you guys know better what works.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
I think Garmin is still offering the best dash mount GPS (almost no competition now and shrinking market due to smartphones) and they can support TOPO maps in their products. However, there are some weird limitations. More info;

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=64qeoRnTjA9X19136YvW08

This one is directly aimed at what you want, but extremely expensive for what it is.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257#overview

You can load the maps and get the same offroad functionality and screen size with this for about 1/3 of the price if you do the work to load the maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/612620/pn/010-02038-02

·
3,369 Posts
FWIW.... this is a long shot.... but bob if you or your wife have health insurance that uses or partners with Go365 (A Humana deal I think) then you may want to look into some of the discounts that go along with it. Garmin for instance give a HELL OF A DISCOUNT to go365 participants on everything. In some cases it is like 50% of the retail price.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
many people around me are moving to the FRS (Family Radio Serivce) and GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios vs CBs. There can be licensing issues around them. I would see what the people you are out with use. CB is still a bit universal.

An iPad mini GPS/Cellular with a rugged case would go along way as an all in one device. Heck a iPhone Max or larger android based phone is dame near the screen size. Put a rugged case on any one of them and get the appropriate software and go. What ever platform you want to use. I found a full size iPad was to large in the jeep without a dedicated mount.

The dedicated devices are having a hard time providing the unique value they use to hold.

One last thought is the Alpine WRA based radios look interesting for the later model jeeps. The X-409 versions now are getting closer to a reasonable price point, IMHO now. If I keep my JKU around I will probably run this one soon
https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/jeep-wrangler-radio-apple-carplay-android-auto-x409-wra-jk
I have already lost 2 radios due to a leaking hardtop, so something with an IP53 rating would go along way for me to pay the extra, then the additional features start to make me wanna get this. When the one with Topo was $4K it was a no go, now closer to $2k and I might be convinced. That and a 9" screen would be good for my old eyes.

·
Administrator
10,842 Posts
As far as that CB radio, Midland makes (or used to make) good products, that particular model might be a winner. I tried the Cobra version of the all-in-one microphone and didn't like it one bit, the handheld part was just way too large.

In our national 4x4 club, CB radio is still in use unfortunately. It would be great if somebody made a non-talkie version of the FRS/GRS radios, talkies always get misplaced in my Rubi.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
In our national 4x4 club, CB radio is still in use unfortunately. It would be great if somebody made a non-talkie version of the FRS/GRS radios, talkies always get misplaced in my Rubi.
I've recently been considering ditching my CB all together and carrying a handheld CB (just in-case that's what we use that day) and a walkie-talkie (I have a few nice motorolas) but, same as you, they'll go missing in minutes.

I'm interested in where this thread goes. My 15 year-old Cobra CB works well, but it's humongous and it's a CB in the year 2019.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as that CB radio, Midland makes (or used to make) good products, that particular model might be a winner. I tried the Cobra version of the all-in-one microphone and didn't like it one bit, the handheld part was just way too large.

I have the all in one CB now. Now very good.

The Midland above is a GRS not a CB. Not many people around here use CB's anymore. I do have a license as we use GRS units around with our church security program. I bought 5 hand held radios for church use 4-5 years ago and they work like champs. Good range etc. But in a Jeep I want to use my speaker I used with my CB. But having a couple extra hand held units is a good idea to hand out to others in the group. Those a fairly inexpensive now.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
many people around me are moving to the FRS (Family Radio Serivce) and GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios vs CBs. There can be licensing issues around them. I would see what the people you are out with use. CB is still a bit universal.

I had no issues getting a license. On FRS no license needed IIRC. Not many use CB's anymore.

An iPad mini GPS/Cellular with a rugged case would go along way as an all in one device. Heck a iPhone Max or larger android based phone is dame near the screen size. Put a rugged case on any one of them and get the appropriate software and go. What ever platform you want to use. I found a full size iPad was to large in the jeep without a dedicated mount.

I am going to really investigate into this. I have been wanting to get an iPad anyway so it just makes sense. My eyes are probably worse than yours!! LOL I'll go 10" screen. RAM mount.

One last thought is the Alpine WRA based radios look interesting for the later model jeeps. The X-409 versions now are getting closer to a reasonable price point, IMHO now. If I keep my JKU around I will probably run this one soon
https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/jeep-wrangler-radio-apple-carplay-android-auto-x409-wra-jk
I have already lost 2 radios due to a leaking hardtop, so something with an IP53 rating would go along way for me to pay the extra, then the additional features start to make me wanna get this. When the one with Topo was $4K it was a no go, now closer to $2k and I might be convinced. That and a 9" screen would be good for my old eyes.

Yes, those are cool. But well beyond my budget. I do hate the stock radio though. Apple Play is good. I am not sure if this uses a antenna or not? When you are out in the deep boonies there is no 4G.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We are having same thing; people slowly migrating away from CBs. I currently have some of the Baeofeng radios as they can utilize FRS/GMRS as well as licensed HAM use on 2m and 440cm. Those do not allow attachment to external speaker that I have been able to figure out; but they are cheap and not a worry if I don't get it back or it gets run over on trail.

As for the GPS, I have been using my phone and iPad for last couple years and just keeping the Garmin handheld for hiking/hunting. I have been using Viewranger app the most and Gaia GPS app recently. There are features of both I like and both require a membership to be able to download maps for offline use. I have a membership with viewranger as I like their maps better and it has street maps, Topo, and satellite that you can use. As long as your phone/tablet has GPS you won't need any external antenna. I ran into same problem with the garmin screen just being to small for my eyes age.

PS: love RAM mounts and have them for everything.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are having same thing; people slowly migrating away from CBs. I currently have some of the Baeofeng radios as they can utilize FRS/GMRS as well as licensed HAM use on 2m and 440cm. Those do not allow attachment to external speaker that I have been able to figure out; but they are cheap and not a worry if I don't get it back or it gets run over on trail.

As for the GPS, I have been using my phone and iPad for last couple years and just keeping the Garmin handheld for hiking/hunting. I have been using Viewranger app the most and Gaia GPS app recently. There are features of both I like and both require a membership to be able to download maps for offline use. I have a membership with viewranger as I like their maps better and it has street maps, Topo, and satellite that you can use. As long as your phone/tablet has GPS you won't need any external antenna. I ran into same problem with the garmin screen just being to small for my eyes age.

PS: love RAM mounts and have them for everything.

I have a newer iPhone 8+, how can I tell if it has GPS? They sell iPads with GPS?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My iPhone 7 has GPS; I think most smart phones have GPS for location services these days. You can see it if you are in the maps application a little arrow shows up in the upper corner indicating GPS is active. On apple it is under setting -> privacy -> location services and you can see list of apps allowed to use it.

Tablets you have to check the specs as they offer them with and without GPS. My iPad mini 4 has GPS on it as well.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My iPhone 7 has GPS; I think most smart phones have GPS for location services these days. You can see it if you are in the maps application a little arrow shows up in the upper corner indicating GPS is active. On apple it is under setting -> privacy -> location services and you can see list of apps allowed to use it.

Tablets you have to check the specs as they offer them with and without GPS. My iPad mini 4 has GPS on it as well.

Cool, didn't know this.

If I go iPad can anyone suggest a map program? I'd pay for a good off road map program.

We are getting ready to do Death Valley and there is just massive amounts of trails there.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I haven't had a CB in the Jeep for quite awhile. 2 meter Ham instead. Most of the group runs I've been on in recent years don't even monitor CB anymore. Last big one I led Ham was even required, like CB used to be.

- DAA

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I have been using my Magellan TRX7CS for a couple of years now for nav. It updates automatically on my home wifi, now you can type in the name of well known trails and it will come up on screen with several choices that you can follow. It is basically an android tablet, but I don't use the tablet much, just the nav system. I have over 40 trails stored in it. Plus there are probably 200,000 trails preloaded now. Satellite imagery is available, must be downloaded before you go, like most of the others. The 7 inch screen was the main sales point for me. Mine is the CS, has a camera, I have never used it because I have it Ram mounted from my overhead Misch shelf. No glare there, the screen is very readable even when in bright sunlight. The Garmin 276 is a pretty good choice, smaller screen but larger than their handhelds.
For comms one group uses the "race radio" frequencies, ie 151.580 and up. No license needed. Another group runs Ham, usually on 146.550 running in simplex mode. Both methods are very clear and have served us well. I have a Black Box brand radio hardmounted from the shelf in both our LJ and JK. I also carry a handheld, works well if you hike a ways ahead of the group to check the trail for instance. The Baofeng handheld ham radios are cheap, around 30 dollars on Amazon, and work pretty darn good.

Reactions: mac

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been using my Magellan TRX7CS for a couple of years now for nav. It updates automatically on my home wifi, now you can type in the name of well known trails and it will come up on screen with several choices that you can follow. It is basically an android tablet, but I don't use the tablet much, just the nav system. I have over 40 trails stored in it. Plus there are probably 200,000 trails preloaded now. Satellite imagery is available, must be downloaded before you go, like most of the others. The 7 inch screen was the main sales point for me. Mine is the CS, has a camera, I have never used it because I have it Ram mounted from my overhead Misch shelf. No glare there, the screen is very readable even when in bright sunlight. The Garmin 276 is a pretty good choice, smaller screen but larger than their handhelds.
For comms one group uses the "race radio" frequencies, ie 151.580 and up. No license needed. Another group runs Ham, usually on 146.550 running in simplex mode. Both methods are very clear and have served us well. I have a Black Box brand radio hardmounted from the shelf in both our LJ and JK. I also carry a handheld, works well if you hike a ways ahead of the group to check the trail for instance. The Baofeng handheld ham radios are cheap, around 30 dollars on Amazon, and work pretty darn good.

I also like the TRX7CS. More confused than ever now with commo though. I know CB is out. I'll have to ask around locally about Ham or whatever they use.

I am not a techy guy. More a stick, rock, water guy.

·
Administrator
10,842 Posts
For trail navigation, our club members use Gaia for iPad or Back Country Navigator for Android. I always keep a CB talkie in Rubi to loan out if I had somebody in my group with a dead CB or they didn't have one. Many times I'll use it when I'm spotting somebody if it's difficult to get into position for the driver to see my hand signals. It would be great if we could get everybody off CB.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I also like the TRX7CS. More confused than ever now with commo though. I know CB is out. I'll have to ask around locally about Ham or whatever they use.

I am not a techy guy. More a stick, rock, water guy.

I guess ya better like it for what they want for it. Why is CB out, a lot of people have both.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For trail navigation, our club members use Gaia for iPad or Back Country Navigator for Android. I always keep a CB talkie in Rubi to loan out if I had somebody in my group with a dead CB or they didn't have one. Many times I'll use it when I'm spotting somebody if it's difficult to get into position for the driver to see my hand signals. It would be great if we could get everybody off CB.

Yes, I have it on my iPhone. Haven't used it yet. Do you need a iPad with a phone cellular?

I guess ya better like it for what they want for it. Why is CB out, a lot of people have both.

I'll leave my CB in, just a lot of people now use ham stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I go hand held radio, what do I want? Ham? GRS? I am looking at buying 2 of them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts