Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheeling in Sedona AZ and looking to replace a U Joint. I have the parts. Calling around to the shops, everyone is booked. Figuring I will need a press for this job, I can do the job, any suggestion on changing without a press? or fellow ROF’sin the area?

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
734 Posts
Well it seems you have internet where you're at so that's good! You can try the BFH method... you'll need some appropriately sized sockets. Check out this link:

·
Administrator
11,259 Posts
If you are going to be doing a bunch of wheeling, invest in either a Tiger Tool (keep in the Jeep toolbag) or a kit for the shop. My shop kit will do U-joints or ball joints.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took care of this with the free rental tool from O’Reilly’s! Took a better part of a day to make it happen, saved the trip!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wheeling in Sedona AZ and looking to replace a U Joint. I have the parts. Calling around to the shops, everyone is booked. Figuring I will need a press for this job, I can do the job, any suggestion on changing without a press? or fellow ROF’sin the area?
Speaking as someone who just bent an ear on a Alloy USA axle shaft end with a press and some frozen u-joints, I'd recommend AGAINST a press. Yes, you may be fine nine out of ten times, but now I cut the caps off at the cross with a 4-1/2" angle grinder, drop the center piece, and push the caps through.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Speaking as someone who just bent an ear on a Alloy USA axle shaft end with a press and some frozen u-joints, I'd recommend AGAINST a press. Yes, you may be fine nine out of ten times, but now I cut the caps off at the cross with a 4-1/2" angle grinder, drop the center piece, and push the caps through.
That's a really good idea to get the old out. I just went thru a big pita doing all my rear driveline and even with a rental cpress type I had some struggle. Those ears are sensitive everywhere. Finally used the 20 ton press on one that was stuck good/not pushing thru the other side so nice. Cutting out the middle would make that a lot easier. Press does make it easier to do on jeep though. Cuts thru pretty easy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts