Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

I've just moved down to Palmetto, FL from Raleigh, NC. My wife and I are in the middle of selling our house. While that's happening we are staying at my dad's house. Unfortunately, he doesn't wheel and I'm pretty bummed I'm missing Uwharrie opening day for the first time in years... :jpshake:

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of places to crawl, off-road, whatever. Just somewhere I can get off pavement in my jeep.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
We ride in Ocala National Forest. Another is a little closer to you, but still quite a drive. That area we call Citrus, but an exact description will have to wait until I get back to my desk. Both offer camping. The campground at "Citrus" is Holder Mine Campground which you might find online.

There is an off road area nearer you called the redneck riviera, but it is basically a mud hole from what I can tell. Not my idea of fun.

Just north of Ocala is Hard Rock Off Road Park. It is small, but fun.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Details:
Citrus Wildlife Management Area is 49,000 acres a mile east and south of Inverness, Florida.

You can get a hard copy MVUM at the ranger station at 40929 State Rd 19, Umatilla, FL. Also online at http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/florida/maps-pubs.

I enjoy both areas, but enjoy them more when dry. Neither offers a lot of elevation.

Hard rock offers some short climbs and descents as well as a rock garden. If it starts to rain, even lightly, get off the hills. The limestone dust gets slicker than snot. You might as well be on ice.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Details:
Citrus Wildlife Management Area is 49,000 acres a mile east and south of Inverness, Florida.

You can get a hard copy MVUM at the ranger station at 40929 State Rd 19, Umatilla, FL. Also online at http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/florida/maps-pubs.

I enjoy both areas, but enjoy them more when dry. Neither offers a lot of elevation.

Hard rock offers some short climbs and descents as well as a rock garden. If it starts to rain, even lightly, get off the hills. The limestone dust gets slicker than snot. You might as well be on ice.
Awesome! Thanks for pointing these out to me. If you ever want to meet up and show me around let me know!

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
716 Posts
x2 on the Citrus area and Holder Mine campsite... probably my favorite "casual" off-roading spot when I lived in FL. Not much mud, lots of dirt/clay/sand roads with washouts for playing around.

Also in Withlacoochee Forest is the Richloam area... very different from Citrus... lots of mud and deep water.

I've also been to Hard Rock and was about to recommend that as well.

Ocala is fun if you're in the mood to explore. It is a very large area so I'd recommend going with someone who is familiar with the trails. Little bit of everything there.

There are also plenty of "mud fest" type of events in inner FL that come and go, i.e. get shut down... definitely entertaining to see the huge swamp buggys doing tug-of-wars and drunks riding around on ATVs. When I was young they were fun but not my cup of tea anymore...

There are some beaches you can drive on in the Daytona area I think that would be fun for a weekend trip.

Welcome to Florida... I miss it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yall are very fortunate that the state will let you ride on WMAs. Our great state of AL has gone crazy to the other extreme with that. They close all the side roads and trails to motor vehicle traffic and all you can drive on is the main road. It's ashamed that we're not able to enjoy it. We had a great place on Coosa county WMA, it's history now. Some of it was leased to hunting clubs, the rest is closed to traffic. They recently opened a new one less than 10 miles from my house, same situation, only the main road is accessable. Makes it tough hunting as well should you choose to kill a deer a mile off the road, traversing steep hils.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
This past year Richloam has been better suited to boats. Our last club night ride there had so many stuck that the last wasn't out till dawn.

I really do not like mud or deep water, so I have written that one off my list.

Speaking of clubs, there are several jeep clubs in central Florida. Join one to learn the local play areas, but you might ask about the off roading preferences. Some are heavy into mud.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not a fan of mud at all. Most of what I was seeing was mud related, which is part of the reason I asked here. I prefer technical rock crawling challenges myself.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Here is a shot from the washouts at Citrus that rubiconric mentioned. It is a fun area, but rocks are at a premium in Florida. Hard Rock used to be a lime stone quarry. You would have fun there, but in a rather limited area.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1426626056.686739.jpg

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Almost forgot. You might enjoy Jeep Brach in Daytona next month. I think it starts 4/22.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts