Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so its been a while....miss my rubicon way to much...only I cant afford another rubicon....I cant even afford to get my beloved 6 speed manual...so sacrafices...anything I should look out for?

Id also like to know the ideal gearing for a daily driver on 35s

Im looking for 5 speed 4L with half doors and if possible a d44

·
Registered
493 Posts
tamersinger said:
Ok so its been a while....miss my rubicon way to much...only I cant afford another rubicon....I cant even afford to get my beloved 6 speed manual...so sacrafices...anything I should look out for?

Id also like to know the ideal gearing for a daily driver on 35s

Im looking for 5 speed 4L with half doors and if possible a d44
Nothing really to look out for. Maybe steer clear of the 97s, they can have those first model year gremlins and quirks most vehicles have. Ideally, shoot for a 2000+ Sport or Sahara with the optional D44 rear. The NV3550 is generally regarded as a better trans than the 5 speed that came in the 90s TJs (AX15).

If you are dead set on 35" tires, hold out for the d44 rear, which came as a somewhat rare option on sports and saharas (and a few special X trim level packages, like the rocky mtn edition), but I'm sure you knew that already.

As far as gearing, go as deep as you can to make up for the low range in the 231. Thats'd be 4.88s for a d30/44 equipped rig.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah im trying to get a cheap rig but with the price range it might be cheaper to get another 6 speed rubicon..

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
If you're wanting lockers, rear disks, etc a Rubicon is hard to beat.

If you want ARBs and D60s, then maybe not.

But you've had a Rubicon, you know the weak links - for my uses,
it was a good choice and I'd go the same route if starting over. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you can manage without the lockers for a while, I am pretty sure the unlimited came with the D44 in the rear. It's a late model TJ, probably with the 6 speed, that would be more affordable than the rubicon.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just dont like the look of the unlimited...call me funny...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts