Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, New to this forum but in the market for a wrangler 2nd car hoping to do some surf fishing here and there with my grandson soon looking to get one now and make sure it’s dependable for trips.

So I came across a listing for a 2005 Rubicon w/200k miles on it they want $7500 for it. Looks clean from the photos they posted as far as rust and destruction, says 2 owners, 4sp Auto. Sooo my question is this, Is this a worth while look, the place is about a 1-1/2 hours out.

If so any tips on what to check out if I go to have a look see with possible purchase.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to Thank you all for your replies this will help make a better informed decision and if it’s not this one I’m going to keep trying to find one in my budget that I can tinker with. Will need to get a code reader, so many to choose from any suggestions on a brand/type that’s more reliable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to me, that is a low price in todays market. seems everything is up in value now.

I would ask about the intentions, keep it stock or modify... the typical rubi vs sport question. With that many miles there will be lots of maint to do
I’m looking to keep it mostly stock, hoping by next year to be able to hit the beach in the fall. Ran into a snag today tho somebody screwed up big time was waiting on a refi on my house, it’s been delayed because banks telling me there is a lean on my property. No way but was told today it’s not mine but also it’s not a quick fix so who knows now bummed. My plan was to buy outright so I could do maintenance without messing with the rest of my Normal bills.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the most common issue to look out for is the OPDA (distributor looking piece) - known to wear out and take the camshaft with it. Seems like a good price, especially considering that the market for used vehicles is so expensive right now.

I lived in Delaware for 11 years while assigned to Dover AFB. Met my wife there and have tons of her family still in the area.
Wow a person that knows Delaware as well go figure, Thanks so much hopefully it’ll still be there when this loan comes thru. When the knuckleheads figure out it’s not me on the judgement on my property. Bites but it is what it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Care to share the listing so I can take a look and help out?
Hi, I Google earthed it, looks like the seller has a vehicle grave yard right behind them the photos make it look to good to be true, hopefully this link works.www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?#listing=279786710

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Nice, Not too far away.
The listing was still active. I will say, from the pictures, Exterior and interior it looks super clean.
Great exterior color.
If that thing runs and the frame is in decent shape, I'd recommend getting it.
Thanks hopefully next week I can take a ride out there and check the frame where the photo’s aren’t showing , I’m with you if it runs and I can get it home the guts can always be patched up. I need another hobby anyway lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This actually has a back story.
So I work with a bunch of people in IT who are 10-15 years younger than me. One day we were walking around a supermarket that has a section for lunch, but I needed to grab something. So we were all just talking.
We ran across a can of Charles Chips which I had not seen in ages.
So I said wow, these used to get delivered to my house when I was a kid.
And my Co-worker looks at me and with zero hesitation goes
"Damn, You Old"
:ROFLMAO:

He moved on to a different company, but we still keep in touch and even have a group chat.
So the other day, I get a package and when I opened it
it was a Charles Chip can of Potato chips and a card.
All the card said was
Damn You Old.

I laughed my ass off.
Yeah that was good, we used to get them as well lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have no feelings to be hurt. Coca-Cola stomped all mine. Most of the guys at my place were under 35. My mind is stuck there, although I do have a shoulder about 90. I used to tell everyone I gauged my age by how much footage of fence I can get over. I bet I can still do an 8 footer.
Hear ya, I used to work IT sorta back in the day, been in recovery Alcohol 14 years, work at a Mental health association, now I tend to 10 ladies in my department everything from in-house IT, peer service, seven collection to restructuring our office floor cutting desks down to make all fit, to hauling stuff in my truck and delivering it to different places, when they ask me my age I say 14, the usual response is you act it, have had two lower back surgeries 4 try shoulder ones, still don’t think I’d like to attempt a 8 foot fence, you win, lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts