Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, New to this forum but in the market for a wrangler 2nd car hoping to do some surf fishing here and there with my grandson soon looking to get one now and make sure it’s dependable for trips.

So I came across a listing for a 2005 Rubicon w/200k miles on it they want $7500 for it. Looks clean from the photos they posted as far as rust and destruction, says 2 owners, 4sp Auto. Sooo my question is this, Is this a worth while look, the place is about a 1-1/2 hours out.

If so any tips on what to check out if I go to have a look see with possible purchase.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,552 Posts
Sounds appropriately priced for the mileage if it's all stock.
It's worth looking at. Ask for when a bunch of the standard maintenance was last done. See if they have receipts. It should be on a 3rd clutch as those normally last 80-100,000 miles with normal use.
The 4.0L engine is pretty solid, but that is a lot of miles. Check to verify the lockers work, shifting is good, no vibrations on a test drive. Make sure you can shift into 4High and 4Low.
Put you fingers into the holes in the frame rails to see if there is rust inside them. Surface rust is normal with that amount of mileage, so you are just checking to make sure it's not bad,
Check for leaks at the end of every axle and under each diff.

Others may chime in with other suggestions.

·
Registered
210 Posts
No clutch on that one, said it was auto, otherwise same recommendations as above. Also check if the PCM and OPDA has been replaced. Bring a code reader to see if there are any pending codes, owner may have reset to turn off check engine light.

·
2,111 Posts
Welcome to ROF. I knew a mechanic that owned a TJ with 240K. He said he never changed his oil. I’m sure never didn’t actually mean never. He was making a point about the 4.0 lasting.

·
Administrator
11,505 Posts
Welcome to ROF! Good advice from the very experienced guys above. Let me add a second to Elff's suggestion to check inside the frame rails for rust. If this vehicle is up north or has lived/used on roads that have been treated in the winter be super careful with your rust inspection. I would even go as far as to buy or borrow a borescope to thoroughly check as much of the inside of the rails as possible.

At 200k miles unless adequate routine maintenance has been done, there will probably be ball joints that need to be replaced and various suspension bushings and U-joints. Not a big deal for a DIY backyard mechanic but could add up to some big bucks at a shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to Thank you all for your replies this will help make a better informed decision and if it’s not this one I’m going to keep trying to find one in my budget that I can tinker with. Will need to get a code reader, so many to choose from any suggestions on a brand/type that’s more reliable.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
to me, that is a low price in todays market. seems everything is up in value now.

I would ask about the intentions, keep it stock or modify... the typical rubi vs sport question. With that many miles there will be lots of maint to do

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to me, that is a low price in todays market. seems everything is up in value now.

I would ask about the intentions, keep it stock or modify... the typical rubi vs sport question. With that many miles there will be lots of maint to do
I’m looking to keep it mostly stock, hoping by next year to be able to hit the beach in the fall. Ran into a snag today tho somebody screwed up big time was waiting on a refi on my house, it’s been delayed because banks telling me there is a lean on my property. No way but was told today it’s not mine but also it’s not a quick fix so who knows now bummed. My plan was to buy outright so I could do maintenance without messing with the rest of my Normal bills.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I want to Thank you all for your replies this will help make a better informed decision and if it’s not this one I’m going to keep trying to find one in my budget that I can tinker with. Will need to get a code reader, so many to choose from any suggestions on a brand/type that’s more reliable.
I have a cheap Cen-Tech code reader from Harbor Freight.

·
3,779 Posts
I think the most common issue to look out for is the OPDA (distributor looking piece) - known to wear out and take the camshaft with it. Seems like a good price, especially considering that the market for used vehicles is so expensive right now.

I lived in Delaware for 11 years while assigned to Dover AFB. Met my wife there and have tons of her family still in the area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the most common issue to look out for is the OPDA (distributor looking piece) - known to wear out and take the camshaft with it. Seems like a good price, especially considering that the market for used vehicles is so expensive right now.

I lived in Delaware for 11 years while assigned to Dover AFB. Met my wife there and have tons of her family still in the area.
Wow a person that knows Delaware as well go figure, Thanks so much hopefully it’ll still be there when this loan comes thru. When the knuckleheads figure out it’s not me on the judgement on my property. Bites but it is what it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts