Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how a painted surface (jeep body) holds up under RTV sealant?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Beats me.............

I can never get the stuff off to see.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Fat Tony said:
Does anyone know how a painted surface (jeep body) holds up under RTV sealant?
your question..
plzz provide more facts..
im curious as to where you would use RTV on painted surface.

thanks
mac

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mac,

Just curious, mostly...but looking ahead to some future mods that require pieces that will cover the jeep's painted surfaces (rock rails, overhead rack systems, etc.) that may not be permanent, I'm trying to figure out what would keep the water out from in-between and prevent rust, while not totally screwing up the paint...

The factory only uses that rubber gasket around the stock rock rails, but it seems like water/crud/salt/mud could easily make a nasty home there...however, it may be the lesser of 2 evils to use the rubber vs. RTV to seal that area...

Thanks,
John

G

·
0 Posts
With the RTV, I do the top and both sides with RTV, and leave the bottom open, for drainage, and air to dry. I haven't had problems in the past doing it that way. It also provides a little cushion. Rubber on the other hand can get grains of dirt from mud under it, and grind right through the paint. HTH

Pick 8)

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
Sorry...but what the hell is RTV????#$%@#$^&...LOL
PeteM
Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV)

Used in a variety of applications like strain relieving high profile components, tacking wire, sealing and encapsulating corrosion sensitive components, sealing and bonding wire and cable connects, and repairing rubber gaskets and seals. These adhesive/sealants adhere to metals, glass, ceramics, silicone rubber and most plastics.
• High Performance Adhesives/ Sealants for Military and Industrial and Automotive Applications
• Designed for Compliance with Tough Military Performance Requirements
• Non-Corrosive, Single Component

mac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts