Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some of you experienced 'wheelers please post general info on when and when not to use the front and rear lockers on our Rubicons? I've been told that rarely should the front lockers be used. For us new Rubi owners, it would help us out a great deal from learning the hard way. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not the expert but here's my experience.

rear locker - I turn this one on whenever I want some more traction. It's generally on when I'm off camber, going up or down a steep hill, in a mud hole, deep snow or climbing an obstacle.

front locker - I don't use this locker unless I know that I will lift a front tire or most of the weight will shift to one side causing one tire to slip. I do not use the front locker in snow or mud unless it's absolutely necessary. Having the front locker on in a high wheel spin situation is asking for trouble. I also don't like the front locker on slippery hill climbs since the Jeep will pull to the side.

I would not recommend locking the front if you are pulling someone out, especially in reverse. I don't even lock the rear on a pull unless I'm not moving the stuck vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
The rear can be locked most of the time. The front must ONLY be employed in the most serious situations... and as straight a line you can travel. And don't tromp on the gas. The front locker should not be locked all of the time.

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Situations?

When you say "the most serious situations", could you give me a few examples of what those situations may be? I feel like a knob for asking but in all humbleness, I'm quite green to all this. My driving style tends to be to creep up, around and over obstacles. Thanks in advance for your patience. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Hey, you don't have to justify your questions here. No one is going to flame you for being new to the sport... the whole point of this place is to help each other. Asnyway... to me an good time to use the front locker is defenitely in a rock garden on a steep slope where there is no hope doing it unlocked. In those situations the more traction the better. And the front locker will really help.

Justin

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree ..with whats been said.. I disagree with having your lockers on in off camber situations... With both axels turning at the same rate the jeep will tend to step sideways in a pot hole, dip, or if you kick a rock. I know TJ said just the back..but i would leave everything open..the raer limited slip will get you through an off camber situation.. I did learn this the hard way... Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a simple rule I use: Drive as far as you can unlocked, when you stop, lock the rear, when you stop a second time lock the front, once past unlock it all and continue on down the road.

If you need to climb up something with the front end, then engage the front locker, this will help you climb vice trying to push your way into the object to get over it. Unlock the front once up. I did find that stopping and waiting for the locker to engage is generally a waste of time, just move ahead slowly and it will engage. When the front is locked you can all but forget about trying to turn. The best thing to do is wheel it unlocked and find out the range of capabilities. The Tru-loc in the rear surprised me at how good it really was.

We are all here to share with out flames so don't worry about questions. I've done this for awhile and will still ask the questions that I don't know about or need another opinion no matter how simple it may sound. So ask away. Knowledge is a good thing, share it.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
For most circumstances you can run with the rear locked, if you are running stock to 33” tires. The trick is to not spin your wheels. Exceptions: deep sand and deep gumbo mud where you need some speed.

The front axle has shown some weakness already with some Rubi owners. I think it is a strong axle, but the strength it has over the Dana 30 is in the ring gear and pinion. The axle u-joints are the same as the Dana 30. The u-joints are usually going to be the weak spot. What you don’t want to do with the front axle is spin the wheels, where they grab and make traction on and off, you would feel this through your steering wheel as it would roll side-to-side. If you “Lock” the front axle and amplify this rolling side-to-side action on your own to gain traction or momentum, you will most likely break something.

The key to all this is to only use the front locker when you really need it.

Having your axles locked will reduce your turning radius, and is not suited for tight turns, like switchbacks. It is best to have them both front and back unlocked.

It is my personal feeling that the Dana 44 axles will handle up to a 35” tire with an experienced nut behind the wheel. The bigger you go the more likely you are to break something. I know guys who are running 38” tires on Dana 30’s with ARB Lockers and they have not broken anything. And I’ve seen guys with 33” tires break u-joints with open Dana 30’s, spinning the tires and moving the steering wheel back and forth the get a grip.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much appreciated!

Wow, I thought this thread was buried. I really appreciate all the responses and the education. Cheers :D :D :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very informative thread for those of us who have never run with lockers before. Thanks!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:20 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a simple rule I use: Drive as far as you can unlocked, when you stop, lock the rear, when you stop a second time lock the front, once past unlock it all and continue on down the road.
Good rule!!! This also helps you learn your Jeeps capabilities and limitations (if it has any!).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A friend of mine once made the statement "He spends all this money on a Rubicon and then has to try the obstacle without lockers!" I love trying the obstacles without lockers, you do need to know the actual limits of your Jeep.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally had the opportunity to use my rear locker. A few nights ago I played in a muddy construction site. I had a buddy with me that had never been out in the mud with a 4X4 and he was impressed. Nothing exciting, just that we drove around in some mud that went up to the sill guards and when the TJ's forward progress was impeded, he exclaimed "There's no way I'm getting out to push!" I told him to relax and I engaged the rear locker. I moved it forward and past the problem ever so slowly (keeping in mind what you guys told me about RPMs and vehicle speed with lockers engaged). He was very surprised. Now he wants me to take him out 'wheeling the next time we go to the mountains :lol: .

·
Registered
17 Posts
One questions on lockers.
I've a 2000 TJ sport with front and rear ARB and in a few occasions I had the need to use front only.
It seems this is a non possible procedure on the Rubicon.
Did somebody already modified it ?

Rubicon (which I'm waiting) has been delayed in Europe at least up to summer: we are always behind :D :evil:

Regards.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think anyone has done it yet. I wouldn't think that it would be to hard. All you would need to do is wire power directly to the compressors and toggle them individually. Doesn't look to hard, but would it be worth it to void the warranty. There have been the threads on how to override the limitations of locker engagement (speed, T-case position), but so far nothing on front to rear. That remains the same lock the rear then lock the front.

Ron... please don't start a DCX warranty sucks thread off of this....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you can get search to work on JU , on the Rubicon Forum, the wiring was drawn out for any combination you could think of. It shows how to rewire so you could just use the front locker if you wanted. HTH

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are talking about the diagram by Brad Kilby, it only address speed and shifter postion. Nothing on front or rear. I just went and looked at it again to make certain.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to Lock or not to Lock?

In mud or slime conditions the advantages of the Rubicon are not as great compared to its dry weather Rock climbing ability. Lockers can be a life saver but in mud they are not invincible and can ever cause a loss in traction. The limited slip is also a source of traction loss in light engine load situations (engine breaking) on mud, the back of the Rubicon comes around easier than any other jeep i’ve had in slight down hill conditions.
As one tire starts to spin, it transfers load to the other tire causing a slight steering affect to the back end (typical on short wheelbase). The only way to straighten out is to apply the gas.

The low gearing of the transfer case is not as affective in Eastern (mud/slime) conditions as well. It takes a “Run-N-Gun-It” style to get you over obstacles that you might otherwise be able to “crawl over” in dry conditions. A split range transfer case with a standard low range of 2.75 and extra low 4:1 would have been a big bonus for the type of trails I see in these parts.

As far as breaking things, I try to use common sense and know when to say I’m stuck! Most people break things when they are trying repeatedly to extricate them selves from a stuck. Repeated forward/reverse spinning of the tires with the lockers on cause breakage. (I saw a guy blow a head gasket trying to get out of a mud hole just because he didn’t want to take a strap). I broke the rear drive shaft in my YJ trying to climb an embankment covered in mud not because I “had” to get over it but because there were people looking so I wasn’t going to go around like a big wuss. So I drove home in front wheel drive instead.

Keep in mind that the whole reason they invented the Differential is to prevent parts from exploding. Especially the front.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would like to thank the person asking the first question. Because Im new to the locker world. I didnt know when to use them or not. I just got back from Land Between the Lakes and I admit I ran both of them most of the time I was on the trails. Again thanks to all the replies cause it does help us newer Jeepers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's the link to the 4HI locker switch:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/ ... /index.asp

PA_Rube, agree with you about the Rubi optimized for the west. Still, there's awesome control with the MT/Rs and lockers!!! I really love this jeep. I'm hoping that 33s (Destinations - MT/Rs - BFG MTs or Interco MTs) will 'right size' the gearing for my use here in the east. I believe it will.

How are those Destinations working out?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts