Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all those that have done the modification of relocating the locker pumps inside the engine bay, has anyone run into any problems? Getting too hot, anything....?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Air Pump Relocation

Hi:

Had mine coverted for over a month now & no problems at all engaging the lockers. I test them a couple of times a week just to make sure,

·
Registered
895 Posts
Here's a link http://www.rubiconforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=109

I looked at it when I did my TT and decided against it. It seemed like a fair amount of extra work for not a lot of benefit. Mine are currently mounted above my Nth Degree TT in the recommended location and are about as well-protected as they could be. No worries about heat and/or taking up space this will ultimately go to my OBA.

Just my $0.02 worth. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Locker Pump

I decided to move mine to avoid having to do the work when I install my nth Degree TT (soon as it is delivered!). Figured that if I moved the pumps, it would cut down the TT install time as I usually start these projects around 10pm Friday night and work through the wee hours.

Anyway, if you decide to do this mod, couple of tims:

(1) slit the air hose 3 or 4 times at the air pumps to make it easier to remove. I actually cut the hose off 3-4 inches from the punp nipple, then did the final removal at my bench.

(2) use crimp electrical connectors with built in (on?) shrink wrap. I found them at a marine/sailing supply company. They cost about $1.75 each, but are much easier to use than regular connectors + shrink wrap. I also coated the connectors with marine electrical waterproof goo.

My $0.02: move the pumps if you are not planning a TT as I believe the pumps are exposed to sticks, etc as mounted in the stock shovel. :D

·
Registered
895 Posts
bsmurph said:
Here is the ROF post http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb ... hp?t=14367

That pic on that other fourm looks just like my Jeep!!!!
It probably is. You'll notice the beginning of the post says:

There was a thread on ROF that ran for two pages and covered relocation of the locker pumps to the ABS tray. Pretty much anyone who does a TT or LA lift has to relocate these pumps so I thought I'd put it on here in condensed fashion.
Rubiconforum.com is my forum and has a lot of current and former ROF members. Every now and then I will consolidate a post from ROF - giving credit to ROF - for the benefits of my members who are not on ROF.

I started my forum when ROF was down. Just in case .... :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
warranty?

For those of you that have done this mod, are there any warranty issues with this relocation? Do you think the dealer would deny a claim with this mod?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Depends on the dealer. You'll have to cut, splice, add to, replace air line. I know a couple dealers who probably wouldn't cover a locker pump failure if you did that - never mind the fact that they're located inside the engine compartment; not where they were intended to be. :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you have done the nth degree mobility locker mod, MAKE SURE the front tube is long enough.

Failure to do this can tear off the plastic nipple the hoses attach to at the front of the locker housing if you flex it out big off-road, and this means no more locker.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CRJeepin said:
They probably won't cover them if they're skewered on a stick either tho.... :laugh:
Yep, they won't cover em. I busted off the nipple on the front pump during the winter time when I came down on a piece of ice that got shoved up there far enough to break it off. I tried to claim that the factory had em in a bad location and they were venerable, but no dice. They looked at me like "yea right, buddy"
I still think they are venerable, hence the question about problems to the people that have done the mod.
I plan on doing the TT and will probably do the mod before the TT.

I've also read posts before that they don't sell the pumps seperately. Only as a set. :rotflmao:
I got mine seperately. I believe it was about $120.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How much air pressure do these stock pumps put out and how much loss is there, assuming the hoses are in good shape? I was thinking of doing away with the pumps all together, using a tube bumper for an air resevoir and using an air switch, just because I hate electrical stuff. If I'm gonna have a compressor it might as well be able to fill tires, run air tools and work off a belt. Any thoughts?

Paul

·
Registered
248 Posts
Locker Pumps

"I've also read posts before that they don't sell the pumps seperately. Only as a set. I got mine seperately. I believe it was about $120."

Picked this tidbit out of an older ROF thread on the same subject. Evidently someone was successful buying an individual pump. Try this part number. 5127834AA - Pump only, Front (2003) or this one 5127836AA - Pump front or rear (2004)

I've not tried to buy the pumps individually so I do not know if this approach will work.

:D

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,083 Posts
I relocated mine into my hide a trunk. This way they are safe, draw clean air (from the vent in the rear door), and I don't have to worry about heat. I ran the wires and hoses through the rubber grommet in the rear deck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dman

I took my driver seat out drilled my 6 holes for the grommets. I could still get to the screws with the seat in place if pumps needed to be taken out. mounted my pumps one over the frame and the next pump out away from it. I put the Tera flex TT on, both pumps are back enough so the TT pertects them. But I also built a plate and tapped the frame for bolts for extra coverage. Pumps are bolted under seat to floor board. Works like a champs. No extra wires are hoses. I guess we all see things a little differant.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I relocated my pumps to the abs tray. I wondered if engine heat might be a problem. Last saturday I was out trying to figure out driveshaft vibes. I was using a hose clamp to tweak balance a little. I was amazed how hot it gets where the locker pumps are originally mounted. The temps at the abs tray are probably a lot lower than the original location. Most jeep techs would be impressed. They were at my dealership.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, I thought about that heat thing too. I had to relocate my pumps when when I installed my long arm kit. For a manual transmission it seemed pretty hot back there, but I guess that motor heat is going too travel to anything it's bolted to.

How much pressure do those little pumps put out anyway? Does anybody know the pressure and CFM? I don't guess they'd be capable of filling tires huh?

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
The pumps put out 5 PSI, not sure of the cfm, but it is probably not much.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of relocating my pumps to my ABS tray right now and just wondered where the stock breather line goes up to, I don't want to just leave it there in the bundle not going to anything...since I'm gonna put my breather in through my firewall.

Also, what kind of drill bit and what size did you ude to drill the holes in the plate? Did you bother making them oblong like they are on the stock bracket?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts