Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my factory fittings and pumps were toast when i bought the jeep, i rigged up some air fittings through the top of the diff and a small air tank i fill manually to 5-9psi with a compressor thats routed to both diffs, my rear diff wasnt locking even though the actuator was getting air and expanding i removed and cleaned everything reinstalled and it worked, front worked good the whole time and just got new fluid.

The problem is now that im back on the road im having binding while turning, seems to only be turning left and its not permanent like if the diff was locked, i can pull into a parking lot and go full lock without issue, but if i turn say half a wheel spin at 40kph it binds and pops, feels similar to if you were on pavement in 4wd

The air tank is currently open to atmosphere thru a valve 0psi on guage, i feel it must be diff related but idk what could be happening as its not stuck in the locked position if i can drive at full lock on pavement

New shocks and sway bar links were installed too as well as straightening a bent upper control arm and reinforcing but i checked all these and done see any contact or reason it would bind at speed but not at full lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
I see nobody has chimed in bc it likely isn't an "easy" fix, but can offer some thoughts:
  • is it possible the rear locker was damaged by previous owner? why were the factory fittings and pumps toast?
  • are axle shafts ok?
  • ensure you haven't over tightened the plugs
  • are you using the factory sensors, and if so, did you do the trick with the dowel pin behind the sensor plunger when reinstalling the carrier?
  • not directly related, but factory psi is supposedly 5
  • did you replace the factory fitting into the housing and the diff or overhaul from scratch?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts