Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a scewed up and true story....

I had engaged the locker on Sat afternoon and as per norm the locker indicators on the dash lit up, the rear indicator went solid and the front indicator continued to flash. The front locker appeared to be locked by looking at the wheels but the indicator would not go to a solid indication. I disengaged the lockers and checked the lines leading from the air compressor. The lines appeared to be fine and in place. There were no kinks or visual damage to the lines.

On the ride home I was traveling on the highway at around 100km/hr and the front locker light started to flash on the instrument panel. The light seemed to flash when the Jeep hit a bump in the road. Then there was this noise that came from the bottom of the Jeep and I could feel it through the floor. It was a grinding or smacking sound. I stopped and found that the air like for the front locker and the wire for the sensor were hanging over the front drive shaft. I grabbed the line and it completely fell off the vehicle. The boot on the drive shaft was also torn.

I am not sure if the sound that I heard was the line hitting the body or if the locker had not engaged properly and there is some internal damage.

Off to the dealership to figure this one out......

I will post some pix later this evening.

Sean

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
LILRDJP said:
This is a scewed up and true story....

I had engaged the locker on Sat afternoon and as per norm the locker indicators on the dash lit up, the rear indicator went solid and the front indicator continued to flash. The front locker appeared to be locked by looking at the wheels but the indicator would not go to a solid indication. I disengaged the lockers and checked the lines leading from the air compressor. The lines appeared to be fine and in place. There were no kinks or visual damage to the lines.

On the ride home I was traveling on the highway at around 100km/hr and the front locker light started to flash on the instrument panel. The light seemed to flash when the Jeep hit a bump in the road. Then there was this noise that came from the bottom of the Jeep and I could feel it through the floor. It was a grinding or smacking sound. I stopped and found that the air like for the front locker and the wire for the sensor were hanging over the front drive shaft. I grabbed the line and it completely fell off the vehicle. The boot on the drive shaft was also torn.

I am not sure if the sound that I heard was the line hitting the body or if the locker had not engaged properly and there is some internal damage.

Off to the dealership to figure this one out......

I will post some pix later this evening.

Sean
hmmmmmmmm pics!!!!
i still think it was a varmit that paid a visit to your JP.
:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Sean, my electrical connection at the front differrential originally looked like it might catch on the front JKS trackbar during flex, so I re-routed it a little so that it was connected to my upper CA. My electrical and pneumatic lines are bundled together with tie-wraps so if the electrical connection were to come loose it could get wrapped around the driveshaft and it might pull the air hose off with it. Good luck and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Ken

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ken White said:
Sean, my electrical connection at the front differrential originally looked like it might catch on the front JKS trackbar during flex, so I re-routed it a little so that it was connected to my upper CA. My electrical and pneumatic lines are bundled together with tie-wraps so if the electrical connection were to come loose it could get wrapped around the driveshaft and it might pull the air hose off with it. Good luck and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Ken
Yep, the foam covered wires that lead into the front diff had worn through the foam wrap to the wires. Wires were okay, but I rewrapped 'em with conduit. It seems like the wires were rubbing against something and wearing away.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
The front sensor line on my Rubi was rubbing on the trac-bar, but the mechanic at the dealership caught it on the first oil change. He tied it up and routed the wires so the wouldn't make contact anymore. I reported this on JU in December last year as a cautionary notice to everyone. Don't know if this is what happened to you though. But it would be worth mentioning to the dealer that many people have had this happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts