Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching around, problem is I'm not sure what to call it..lol 04 rubicon with northeast rust issues. I'm guessing it's some sort of nipple that the air line attaches to on top of the axle. Whatever it was, has rusted away on both of my axles. Both of my airlines are connected to nothing. I'm sure I'm not the first one to go through this. What are my options to fix? I've been googling and searching but coming up empty. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
10,555 Posts
Rusting of that air line attachment at the pumpkin in not unusual - especially for the northern states. I forgot if that nipple is pressed in or is threaded. You can check parts diagrams or check with your dealer. Maybe someone else knows.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn'tthink about a parts diagram. Thanks, John

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had this issue when i bought my LJ a few years ago pumps were seized up and full of water, lines into the axle rotted off, memorys not there now but i believe i looked around a bit and couldnt find the fittings and didnt want to pay 400$ for a set of new air pumps, being inexperienced i tried drilling and fitting the diff cover first thinking thats a little less devastating if i mess up, leaked nonstop and the line kept kinking or coming undone, its pretty difficult to work in that area with those little fittings no one seems to make hose clamps of any kind that small, ended up doing away with that and welding some 1/4" air fittings together and through the diff in a spot where there was room, i was trussing the axles at this time so they were out of the jeep and stripped and cleaned already, this worked better but i was using a small tank and ball valves to try and fill the tank to 8psi and then open the valves to the lockers i didnt end up using them much.. im in the process of reworking them a little now and can let you know what i come up with try and grab some pics while im at it but thatll be a few weeks

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the reply and would love some pics. I'm in no real rush, it's too dang cold to be working on it anyway. Many thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
sorry not to get back to you havent worked on the jeep much lately, winter in canada and all.. quit on my recently wont start up once its warm now so i gotta deal with that first before i redo my airlines

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries, I've, we've, all got more important things going on right now. I'm really in no rush.There's so much rust, I was even thinking about getting new housings altogether.

·
Registered
2005 Rubicon LJ
20 Posts
I recently replaced both the fittings on my lj. it's quite simple. remove your diff covers, disconnect the internal air line and knock the fitting out with a small punch.
The fitting is a press fit, I cleaned out the hole with brake clean and a rag, applied some Loctite to the fitting and tapped it in with a punch and hammer.
The fittings were 28.00 each, I think.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts