Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tested our Limited Slip on a gravel road? Is it a torque splitter like a traditional L/S (50/50 - 60/40) or a torque transfer (100% to one or 100% to the other)?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is. In my opinion this is the best L/S on the market. At first, I thought our units were made by Tractech but after reading this article

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/new ... ubicon.asp

I was led to believe it was a different company.

In Action.... I have gone hill climbing twice (in 4L) and didn't even use my lockers. The hills were about 50 feet high and steep with 1 foot ridges throughout. I was waiting for the break point but crested the hills with no stop in momentum.

:D

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Awesome, from what I can feel I would say that it is a traditional splitter.... otherwise a real fast 100% to each wheel. I tested this on ice and the transfer of torque between both wheels was flawless and fast.

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just went out and found a gravel road. The pictures I'll be posting shortly tells all. It also shows that DC wasn't too far off base by disallowing locker use in High range because we already have it in the form of the most AWESOME helical gear L/S on the market!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pix show right rear break (normal) then left rear engagement (YEAH BABY!!!) Looks to me like a 50/50 once the left kicks in. I examined the patterns carefully and did not see evidence of a 100, 100, 100, 100 transfer.

No wonder I could climb so well without the locker(s). Having a rear L/S like this is very satisfying.

Notice my factory locking gas cap. Its key'd to my ignition key.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Nice Andy! Good investigation, I tend to agree with your conclusions from what I see and what I have experienced.

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My brother followed me in his built K5 all weekend during the foot of snow we got in Ohio. We were talking on the CB and he said that he never saw just one rear tire spinning. I didn't have to lock up once. The rear engaged very fast and esentially locked up. Good stuff :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear trac-loc is an amazing thing. It will spin you 180 if you are not careful. On the way home in the rain a couple days ago I transition over a lip making a right turn on to new asphalt that was canted to the driver side and immediately got on it hard because of traffic. I litterly felt the trac-loc engage, but by then it was to late to get off of it. Pretty cool to squeal the tires all the way around and look (real stupid) at the DJ (with grinning owner) slowing to a stop behind/ front of me. I just drove it down into the drainage ditch, flexed it up, dropped it into 4 low and climbed out the muddy bank on the other side. Did spend 30 minutes BSing with the postals owner about the Rubi.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The limited slip in the Rubicon does rule! I did want to point out that it is not the trac-lok though. The trac-lok is a clutch pack LSD. I had one in my 2002 Sahara with D44 rear axle. While it did a good job, the clutches wear out over time and they are not very effective with larger tires. The Rubicon has a tru-lok LSD. This is gear driven and you can see the benefits in this thread :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Steve. Didn't notice my keyboard dyslexia until I saw your post. Yep Tru-Loc, not Trac-Loc. Close but no cigar. I think I need to slow down and stop doing so many things today. Work is a nightmare at the moment. Supposed to go home 3 hours ago.

Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
Andy: Do you have the stock 31s? I wonder how much the effectiveness fo the LSD will drop/change with larger tires.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If it is gear driven then there should be no real difference when it comes to tire size.. the old clutch pack ones eventually don't work worth a s*#t.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The LSD we have in our rubies are of the Torsen type II variety - functions similar to the original Torsen from Gleason Engineering except that it is much stronger.

Actually, Tractech no longer voids the warranty on the Torsen type II unit (TrueTrac) if you use tires bigger than 33".

Due to its design, the unit will cease operation (reverting back to being an open diff) if you hang one of the rear tires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for this information all as I have had a really tough time trying to use my lockers as well! As I mostly wheel alone I don't take many chances while alone and way off the pavement.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
saigonsmuggler said:
Due to its design, the unit will cease operation (reverting back to being an open diff) if you hang one of the rear tires.
2 or 3 clicks up on the E brake will get it back again.

It is essentially an open diff. The limited slip function is simply the creation of a planetary geartrain with 1 wheel having zero traction. If you jack up one rear wheel and count tire and driveshaft rotations, you'll see a net effective rear axle ratio of 2:1.

So, it's not a limited slip, but rather a torque biasing diff. It really cannot limit slip, only incentivise 2 wheels to turn at 4.10:1 rather than 1 at 2:1 as long as both have SOME kind of traction, even if it's fooled into believing it by holding them a bit with the E brake.

·
Registered
604 Posts
DoctorD said:
saigonsmuggler said:
2 or 3 clicks up on the E brake will get it back again.

It is essentially an open diff. The limited slip function is simply the creation of a planetary geartrain with 1 wheel having zero traction. If you jack up one rear wheel and count tire and driveshaft rotations, you'll see a net effective rear axle ratio of 2:1.

So, it's not a limited slip, but rather a torque biasing diff. It really cannot limit slip, only incentivise 2 wheels to turn at 4.10:1 rather than 1 at 2:1 as long as both have SOME kind of traction, even if it's fooled into believing it by holding them a bit with the E brake.

I noticed the effect of no grab when I tried it by jacking up one side. It just spins and spins. So, how does it really work, and how does pulling up on the emergency brake fool it into engaging?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts