Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I'm a fan of the old school KC round lights. The truth is you'll rarely use any auxiliary lights on your Jeep, they're more for look than function. I've only used my A-pillar lights while pitching a tent. That being said, you get what you pay for, the cheap stuff will get condensation, paint will flake off and the housing will rust. The lights themselves will potentially flicker and/or short out. Make sure anything you buy comes with the appropriate harness and resistors and is wired properly. After that get what you think looks good and suits your uses.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Make sure anything you buy comes with the appropriate harness and resistors and is wired properly. After that get what you think looks good and suits your uses.

I've never seen LED Light bars or LED Aux lights requiring "resistor" to function correctly. Did you mean a "relay"?

Reactions: DK2014JK

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm a fan of the old school KC round lights. The truth is you'll rarely use any auxiliary lights on your Jeep, they're more for look than function. I've only used my A-pillar lights while pitching a tent. That being said, you get what you pay for, the cheap stuff will get condensation, paint will flake off and the housing will rust. The lights themselves will potentially flicker and/or short out. Make sure anything you buy comes with the appropriate harness and resistors and is wired properly. After that get what you think looks good and suits your uses.
I've had mine for two years, it is a LOT brighter than any other light I have had on it before. The only reason it has ever flickered is because of the factory plug I used to hook it up. It is dry as a bone inside. While it is advisable to use a relay when wiring them, you don't really need to. I hooked mine up to the factory fog light wires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had a Amazon Chinese knock-off 20" LED bar with combination spots/flood. It has worked flawless for the past couple years and always thought it was quite bright. I recently picked up a pair of Rigid D-SS and mounted them with the bar still on the Jeep for some comparisons. I can't even tell when I turn on the bar if the Rigids are on and the comparison on beam brightness and spread is not even close going from the bar on then turning the Rigids on. Rigids are definitely a case of you get what you pay for and the price is hard to swallow for an everyday guy running trails with minimal night use; but they are outstanding to the others.

I will certainly shed less tears when I smack that Chinese version against the rocks and I can replace it a lot easier; but it does not hold a candle literally to the rigids.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
X2 on the Rigid Sideshooters. Good quality and very good illumination. I got them from Doug here on the forum. ledtrailerlights.com
Pics attached, I mounted them from the tabs on the bull bar on my Rockhard front bumper with some aluminum spacers to prevent interference of the side beams light projection. They are tucked out of the way of brush that way. I used the factory fog light harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
I wouldn't doubt they are better lights for a second, but I don't need that much more light for 10x the price(or whatever it happens to be). I run in to too many trees using my jeep the way I do now. I would feel really bad if I broke a good one.

The last "regular" lights I had were some Hellas, got them from Walmart for $10 or something, bought two pair. Those were not even close to what my light bar is.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I use my lights every weekend, and usually once or twice during the week. I am probably going to invest in one of those goofy 52 inchers that I have seen around. The little a-pillar lights leave a lot to be desired.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
If you want some low cost, yet functional I would look into these from Harbor Freight. I purchased the smaller lights and was impressed with them. I tested mine before installing by running them constantly on a power supply for 90 minutes, they didn't overheat or flicker once. They seem well made and solid to the feel.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-lumens-22-in-combo-light-bar-64320.html

Reactions: Desert Dog
1 - 16 of 16 Posts