Rubicon Owners Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
2,020 Posts
This is the tool you are talking about? I hate thin wrenches, except for something light weight like a table saw blade.
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera lens Table Auto part

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes that is the tool. I even ordered another one thinking that the tool that came with the ball joints was defective. But the new one did the same thing. I then bent the handle part on one of them to help clear the knuckle but that didn't help it grip much. I think the tool/nut design is poor. I regret buying them now especially with the Terafllex tech giving me the brush off with "it's no big deal!" But will stick with them for now.

Note: The shop that did the last alignment is getting back to me after consulting with the mechanic. I assume the Jeep will go back in for a better examination and new alignment. Fingers crossed.

·
3,746 Posts
You should be able to detect movement in the balljoints if they are too loose. I like to use a section of pipe or a 4 ft long 2x4 under a front tire (while the frame is supported on a jackstand) that has no weight on it and use the pipe to lift the tire. If the balljoint is loose, you should see movement in it.

I agree with the other who have said to check the unit bearings as well.

The Micky Thompson Baja ATZ's are quality tires; sometimes tires contribute to this behavior, but unless excessively worn, these should be good.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
If the problem didn’t start until you put aftermarket balljoints in, start there. They are probably a little too tight . It may loosen up with some miles. You could also go back to a factory joint, see of it smooths out.
your alignment isn’t perfect but it shouldn’t cause it to drive like you describe.

·
Registered
676 Posts
FWIW, There is a TSB on the JL and JLU "wandering". They replace the aluminum steering box with a cast iron one and reprogram. Someone thought a steering box was a good place to save a few pounds. It took them over a year of revisions before they apparently got it right. May not be related but it might. Whatever you do, make sure to dissuade the dealer that it might be death wobble. They tried to tell me that was what I was experiencing and I told them I have had 6 Jeeps and I know what DW is. This is not that.
Here is link to the TSB.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If the problem didn’t start until you put aftermarket balljoints in, start there. They are probably a little too tight . It may loosen up with some miles. You could also go back to a factory joint, see of it smooths out.
your alignment isn’t perfect but it shouldn’t cause it to drive like you describe.
Thanks for the response Eric,
I do have about 2000 miles on the ball joints. Also I recently loosed the adjustment and then tried to torque them to spec but the tool would not hold on the nut. I tightened them by hand up to the point the tool slipped. So they are below the 300 inch lbs required. Call Teraflex and the tech said that was OK. But don't like that a product does not work as advertised and the seller ho hums!

I got under the Jeep again today and my wife moved the steering wheel back and forth for awhile and I checked everything again. All is tight and looks like it is functioning as designed. Still it is wandering and diving into road imperfections. It's work to drive this Jeep now and must keep making steering corrections to keep straight down the road:(

I would buy new adjustable control arms right off to gain more castor but this Jeep handled fine before I changed out the ball joints and all the front end steering components, not the control arms though they look tight. Since two shops have said all looks good I just keep coming back to the alignment.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
That's a good suggestion
The stabilizer can hide a larger issue

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
OP here: I will check the stabilizer out by disconnecting it and report back.

Although I did check the stabilizer to see if it was working like a shock and it is stiff to push in or pull out. Also this Jeep ran straight and true before the rebuild of the steering components and ball joints with this very same stabilizer. Also was careful to bolt it up as it was.

But I may have centered it incorrectly, or something, so I will be on it soon. Thanks for the suggestion:)

Also the shop that did the last work on the Jeep and the alignment... I have been told to allow a few weeks before bringing it back in... they are short of help with several mechanics out sick... get vaccinated everyone!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts