Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my lift kit parts have finally all arrived. What I would like from the forum, is for you to tell me if I've missed any parts, or if there is something I should be especially careful or aware of. Here is what I have:

1 JKS Upper and Lower Control Arms
2 JKS Front Track Bar
3 Currie Rear Track Bar
4 JKS Sway Bar Disconnects
5 BDS 3" Coils
6 Teraflex Bump Stop Spacers
7 Goodridge Stainless Brake lines (4")
8 Teraflex Rear Sway Bar Links
9 Teraflex Pitman Arm (I may send this back)
10 Rancho RS9000X Shocks
11 Teraflex Rear Shock Relocators
12 FSM

Autozone has specialty tools that can be used for free as long as a deposit is left, so I will have access to a Pitman Arm Remover and Pickle Fork. I also have all of the necessary hand tools, pneumatic tools, drill bits, and BFH, so I should be good there.

I roughly calculated the lower control arms to be about 16.75" to recenter the tire in the wheel well. Does this seem about right?

I am also hoping not to need a new driveshaft but will order from Tom Woods if I can't eliminate the vibrations.

I know I am missing some important points but I just can't seem to see them through the fog. Any and all input is appreciated!!

Thanks in advance and have a great day!!

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Great news Ken. Have fun wrenching on your Jeep.

If you did not get the relocation bracket with the rear trackbar, I would suggest you get it. Makes for a much better install.

I'd also suggest you leave the Pitman arm alone until you're finished installing the lift. You probably won't need it.

Those JKS CAs are the best on the market. Good choice.

And get the biggest jackstands you can find. I'd suggest 6 or 12 ton rated ones. They go high and you'll never overload them. Don't forget a pair of smaller ones to support your axle when you're changing CAs.

You'll probably have to fiddle with the CA length to restore your wheelbase. Just remember to always adjust the CAs as pairs. (You know, lengthen the RF LCA by 3 1/2 turns, lengthen the LF LCA by 3 1/2 turns.)

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the Currie Bracket when I ordered the Track Bar. From What I can tell, ORGS makes the Track Bar for Currie and JKS (they use Currie Johnny Joints) and Currie makes the Bracket for the rear.

I only have 3 ton stands right now. I will look into some 6 ton stands with a higher lift range.

As for the control arms, I will follow your advice and have purchased 9/16" and 3/8" grade 8 rod to use to keep them all the same initially, and for speading my CA brackets.

Thanks for the insight and the only thing holding me up now, is a messy garage!

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Ken:

You are correct. The trackbars are ORGS and sold by Currie and JKS under their names, and Currie builds the bracket.

I was lucky - my CA brackets did not need to be spread. I matched my JKS CAs to the stock length by removing one arm at a time. I then placed the bolts in the JKS CA and adjusted the JKS length so the bolts would slip through the bushings on the stock arm. Very easy, and I knew where I was starting from.

Garage? You have a garage to work in? Real Jeepers do it in the driveway! :D

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
JerryC said:
Garage? You have a garage to work in? Real Jeepers do it in the driveway! :D

Jerry
And when it is pouring out for a whole week, I can shut the garage door and still wrench on the Jeep. :poke: Not sit in the house looking at it....

Ken make certain you borrow a good vacuum brake bleed kit when you change out those lines and keep the resevoure full. Also double check all your torques. Good luck on your install.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great tips and I agree about the rain - what a lousy start to summer we are having here in Ohio. Normally I would have already tuned up my boat and had it out on lake erie fishing for walleye but it still sits in storage.

The lift kit should be quite a challenge since I won't have any help for most of it.

I appreciate all of the tips and encouragement and I can't wait to finish the install and try it out!

Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts