Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to order shocks for the RE 5.5 kit that i got. After i placed the order they called me back and said that Rancho dosnt make shocks that long ( i cant believe that) and that they had none in stock that would fit it. My question is what kinda shocks do yall suggest .... i prefer Rancho 5000s... and what is the mesurments of yalls shock (that have the RE 5.5).... that way i can call with the exact measure of the size shock i need instead of trying to explain to them and let them figure it out.... Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Here is a thread that talks about that

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... ock+length

Marley28 is a reliable source of information

I run the OME shocks and have been extremely happy with the amount of flex I get.
One example is the Pic in the upper left corner of your browser
{Yup that's me if you didnt know}
and here are a couple more pics to show the flex

G

·
0 Posts
With a 5.5", I would go with OME, and well I did go with OME. Installing this weekend. I'm doing a cheater RE 5.5" sa that most shops and people assert works well. It remains to be seen, or is that driven? lol

I have ran Rancho 5000s for quite sometime now with my 2" Coil Spacers and 1" Body Lift. I actually like them very much myself, much to my surprise as they are a more mid range performance shock.

It will be interesting to see how my rig handles when "done"

I just could not swing the LA kit for quite sometime is all financialy.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Bilstein just designed a shock specifically for the RE 5.5. Check with Wally at ORW in Escondido. He just put them on his rig and can't believe how well they work. The main wrench at ORW is Kenny & he was equally amazed.

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/

Nick

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what size then

to make my life a little easier...... what measurement of shocks does someone running 35's that is in this club run...... extended and unextended measurements.....i understand if i cant et that info cause that would be to easy for me...... and also i know i need a new drive shaft..... what all do i need and where is the best place to order it from? Thanks alllllllll yallllll

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
This is what I have

OME Long Travel Shocks
(17.75 Comp 27.25 Ext) Front
and
(14.75 Comp 24.33 Ext) Rear

As for the Drive shaft
Get the one from Tom Woods that is specifically designed for the rubicon and uses an adapter that bolts directly to T-Case flange

G

·
0 Posts
Are you sure that ?
The front N66L (long travel OME) isn 't 17,75 comp.
is 15,50.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
That is what I pulled off another website.
Only way to confirm it would be to call OME.

G

·
0 Posts
Here are my measurements. These are the same shocks used on RE's 3.5 to 5.5 kits. Measureed center eye to center eye for the rears, and center eye to top of bottom bushing for the fronts.

Front OME LT
Extended 27 3/8"
Compressed 16 3/8"

Rear OME LT
Extended 24 3/8"
Compressed 14 5/8"

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts