Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m adding LED back-up lights that I want to control with a switch, but also activate from the factory back-ups. I plan to use a relay, but can I trigger from the switch AND the back-up light circuit? If so, will one (or both) factory back-up lamps be powered when I turn on the switch, i.e. since the trigger wire from the switch and the back-up circuit will be combined, will the switch back feed the factory lamp(s)? Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I’m adding LED back-up lights that I want to control with a switch, but also activate from the factory back-ups. I plan to use a relay, but can I trigger from the switch AND the back-up light circuit? If so, will one (or both) factory back-up lamps be powered when I turn on the switch, i.e. since the trigger wire from the switch and the back-up circuit will be combined, will the switch back feed the factory lamp(s)? Thanks in advance for your help!
You have several options to make this work...
What is the load requirements for the LED's?
Do you plan to leave the existing back up lamps?

If the load is small enough you can simply add a SPDT switch to have one position to feed the new LED's with the existing wiring for B/U.
The other position would supply the LED's from a 12v constant or acc. power source, again with the existing B/U wiring.
You can use a relay if you want/need to.
Either way, it depends on the LED load requirements and your plans for the existing B/U lamps.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,090 Posts
Another option is it find the switch that triggers the back up lights. Run a tap before and after the switch. Connect them to your dash switch. Now if you throw your switch you bypass the back up light stock switch.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Another option is it find the switch that triggers the back up lights. Run a tap before and after the switch. Connect them to your dash switch. Now if you throw your switch you bypass the back up light stock switch.
Yes, that's how I did my AEV back up lights. The mid position switch is off. Down position on when in reverse only. Up position on any time. My tail lights are the Max-built LED's so had to do some sodering. Used the Teraflex CB antenna mount for both the tail light and to hold the back up light. Worked out clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts