Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my brothers, one of the nephews and I made a final fishing trip to the Bishop area in Eastern CA.
We drove up late Thursday then fished Friday and Saturday.
My youngest brother gave me fly fishing lessons and now I'm hooked.
We usually camp but this trip came together on Wednesday so we did a couple of hotel rooms in Bishop.
By the way, If you're in Bishop, the Cancun Enchiladas and the salsa at Amigos Restaurant are probably the best you'll ever have.
No more Sierra trips this year but hopefully at least one Death Valley trip this winter.
2020-10-16 01.jpg
2020-10-16 02.jpg
2020-10-16 03.jpg
2020-10-17 01.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
There is some good fishing there. One of my favorite areas to explore and travel through. I highly recommend going to Bodie, and gold mine ghost town that is now a state park North of Mono Lake. It's completely preserved, just as they left it when it was abandoned.

·
3,564 Posts
Its a beautiful area. Too bad the fires are still burning. I had no idea that the fishing was good in the area!

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Now, now Mark :whistle:
LOL, being on the Gulf, the fish that get caught would swallow the poor trout up like a minnow.
I will say this, fly-fishing is fun once you get the motion. It's almost graceful looking when done by some. I would have liked to salt water fly-fish, but the allure of deep water always got me.

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
We have a few friends that love fly fishing, I was always amazed at the length of the rods and the tiny reels.

·
Registered
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have a few friends that love fly fishing, I was always amazed at the length of the rods and the tiny reels.
The creeks where we catch those small trout are at 9,000'-10,000'. All of the fish are native for generations. I've been fishing there since 1971.
For those fish we use 3wt poles and reels, mine is 5'-6" long. You're usually casting 10' - 20' into a 12" - 24" wide creek.
We always catch and release because if you hit the creeks too hard you can ruin the population for years.
Ounces of fish - tons of fun - incredibly beautiful.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,083 Posts
Looks like a fun trip.

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 13 of 13 Posts