Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys wanted to inform you after installing my kwan TWC. There is a few changes in te connectors from 02 and earlier to 03. But I will say Seek Kwan has been more than helpful, and took every suggestion I had with his instructions and whatnot into account. Very class act that is dedicated to making the customer happy! HE plans on having the instructions updated by next weds to include the 03 models.

The TWc came with everything needed down to the last butt conector. Very impressive. The wiring looks intimidating, but really isn't at all once you get down to it. Hardest part is connector c204 which is up by the steering column under the dash. But its not bad at all.

My only advice is: Make sure you cut the Red/Light green, Red/ dark green looks awful similar!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I am also thinking about this mod. Does the winch still work if you plug in the controller?

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
SkyHighTJ said:
Guys wanted to inform you after installing my kwan TWC. There is a few changes in te connectors from 02 and earlier to 03. But I will say Seek Kwan has been more than helpful, and took every suggestion I had with his instructions and whatnot into account. Very class act that is dedicated to making the customer happy! HE plans on having the instructions updated by next weds to include the 03 models.

The TWc came with everything needed down to the last butt conector. Very impressive. The wiring looks intimidating, but really isn't at all once you get down to it. Hardest part is connector c204 which is up by the steering column under the dash. But its not bad at all.

My only advice is: Make sure you cut the Red/Light green, Red/ dark green looks awful similar!!!
Thanx for the update. Just got mine yesterday. May email you if I have any questions.

Brian

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oh yeah i read about this let us know how it works and if ya like it!!! :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just installed mine last weekend and the instructions weren't updated for a 2004 Rubi. I don't know if it differs from a 2003 or not, but there are 3 connectors on the kick panel. Luckily, I had an FSM and was able to track down the correct connectors and wires. (The colours were correct tho.)

However, now it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

If I just hit the Resume button to initiate throttle control, the CC "motor" clicks and nothing happens. If I hold down the button, the clicking increases and then it roars up to 3000 RPM. I can then crudely control the RPM, but if the controlled RPM goes below about 2250, then the system begins to "hunt" (the RPM cycles up and down) continuously.

The system doesn't do the "Rev up" and "Rev down" that is stated when trying to change from static to dynamic mode either. I haven't tried loading the system to see whether it's in dynamic or static mode yet, nor have I gotten around to hooking up the winch controller. I wanted to get the throttle controller working first.

I noticed that the cruise seems to hunt a bit now too, so I'm wondering if all the offroading and mud may have taken its' toll on my cruise "motor". Anyone else have a problem with this?

As for install tips, I took the speaker grille off, the steering wheel shroud off (2 screws), the defroster grille off (no screws) and the centre dash bezel off (2 screws under the defroster grille). I then installed the switch into the blank "switch" between the locker switch and the rear wiper switch. (I need a new one, first time using a Dremel-like tool and well.. not a good job.. small part thank goodness!)

This freed up tons of access to under-dash. I also disconnected the connectors (2 are squeeze 'n pull and 1 is just pull) under the dash to get better access to the wiring.

I am thinking I'm going to solder and heat-shrink the wiring into place and see how much of it I can hide into the factory "tubing" to make it look less kludged when it goes to the dealership :)

*THEN* I'll take pictures (for you pic hounds)..

Edit Nov 26, 2004:

I was doing the change from dynamic to static incorrectly, that now works as advertised (tho no testing of the two modes yet). I also had the power wire fall out of the fuse holder (my bad, I didn't check the tightness of the screw during the original install..) which had me thinking it had blown up :)

It still is a bit iffy holding the RPM at anything under 2250. I also have an idea of turning this switch into an "offroad power" switch and using it to control the power to the winch (via high power solenoid like Mac's), a "booster cable connection" (same solenoid) and possibly a fuse block that powers offroad-only accessories (lights etc.) to satisfy some inspection laws where I plan on moving and safety (nobody can use the winch say in a parking lot or something odd like that).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts