Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between the LT 315/70R17/C or the 35x12.50R17/E. They are very close in size but from what I have seen the 12.50's seem to have a flatter, across the tread, contact patch and therefore seem to "nibble" a little more at tar strips. Any opinions out there?

·
3,328 Posts
On a jeep I'd much rather run a load range C than an E. E-rated tires are likely much heavier as well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My JK is heavy . I should probably put it on a diet.
I bought new tires this spring and looked at both sizes. The tires I had (goodyear) were soft and I got a flat it seemed every time I was out. I felt the need for proper sidewall strength.
I went with the 315/70/17 because of the load rating. I didn't want to be driving a lumber wagon. When I put them on I looked at the inside carefully and I do feel that I made the right decision. I have not had a flat or tear yet.
You can get them in a 285/75/17 if you want a narrow tread.
If you are going to air down and play hard in the rocks then maybe "E" range is better but then maybe a true M/T tire would be better.
A 315 or a 12.5 tire is a wide tire for a Jeep and either one will want to crawl up the ruts and follow ridges on the highways. That said, I have my alignment dialed and I can do 75mph for hours without becoming road stressed. I will buy Ko2's again.

·
Administrator
10,469 Posts
The KO2 is a very good all around tire, I've had them on my truck for at least 15 years. Couple of years ago I was headed into town (25 miles each way) and something didn't feel quite right about 1/2 mile from our ranch. Pulled off the road and looked at the tires - one of them was flat, I think it blew a tire stem valve (or whatever.) The sidewall was stiff enough for me to drive back home and change it out for the spare.

No air - no problem :smile2:.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Might want to look at the Nitto Trail Grapplers

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
First real off road trip on my JKU with KO2 34/10:50 17's and I cut a side wall. Same trail I've run my GoodYear MTR's on with my LJR many times with no issues.
I am getting new Falken Wildpeak 35" tires put on the JKU today. I'll sell those 4 remaining BFG on offer up or something.
The KO2 is a great road tire and light trail tire but not enough sidewall protection for rocky stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts