Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
MudvaynJeepTJ said:
I completed the RE3.5SF install last night, and I noticed a knocking or thumping noise that sounds like its coming from right underneath the floorboard under the brake and gas pedals. Anyone???????
Did you torque everything to factory specs with weight on wheels?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I would bet that you are feeling the track bar moving. Make sure that the front adjustable track bar is torqued to 160 Ft/lbs. I know that RE says 130 ft/lbs but in my opinon it has to be more.

Also make sure that you torque you control arms to spec. If there is any slack in the mount then you will feel it through the frame..

Check the Track bar first..

G

·
0 Posts
When you are on the bumpy road feel the t-case shifter see if it is moving. Mine does and gives a nice thump everso often.

Ron

·
Registered
420 Posts
What would be the Torque spec's for the controls arms????

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
rubicon789 said:
Front LCA axle end 120 ft-lbs
Front LCA frame end 130 ft-lbs
Front UCAs - both ends 55 ft-lbs

Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
rubicon789 said:
55 ft/lbs for the Upper Frame bolts and also all 8 upper control and 120 Ft/lbs for the 4 lower bolts that connect to the axle..

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Any chance it could be your rear shocks hitting the coil pads and it just appears to be coming from underneath the gas pedal?

Ken

·
Registered
267 Posts
mine makes the same noise. I have been meaning to disconnect the sway bars to see if that is the source...I get the same exact noise in the same place as you. everything is tight to spec, I also have the re front trac bar. I have a 5 speed, and I am pretty sure it's not shift linkage related

·
Registered
267 Posts
forgot to mention I am also using the re 3.5 super flex kit

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mudvaynjeeptj .....did you ever find the source of the knocking noise. I have the same noise...have been over every bolt. This w/e i installed the skyjacker transfer case bracket....so I could ditch the "tub" attached stock setup. I was sure that was where the noise was. It did not fix the problem. I still get a knocking noise (like someone is hitting the floor of the jeep under the driver side ...near my feet, only when making a left bumpy turn, or traveling over rough bumpy roads/trails. Ihave tried all the other fix comments. This no fun. I may be down to just replacing the LCA on that side even though it appears to be fine.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had the same noises, sometimes it sounded like it was around the front driver's side, other time the rear drivers side - you'd swear there was a gremlin hitting the underside with a BFH.

My hubby relocated the rear shocks and I've not noticed any noises from the rear, the shocks did have small dents from hitting the coil pads. The noises in the front didn't start until after we did a 1" BL. We think it might be where the steering goes through the firewall, the grommet is very compressed and probably binds. We haven't got a solution for that one yet but the noise is not real frequent, only after a good bump when the front end compresses.

We're also waiting on a RE adj. track bar & relocating bracket because the stock trac bar is hitting the gas tank skid, another possible source for a rear noise. My driveline needs tuning and the trac bar will only get closer as we tilt the pinion upwards. Also tacking the opportunity to put a Kilby gas tank skid in to allow even more clearence for the trac bar.

The driveline adjustment is due to the Nth tummy tuck and we contacted them for solutions for the trac bar hitting. Their feeling is that no lift company offers a trac bar with sufficient angle for these situations, hence they are currently designing a trac bar that might be available next Fall.

The cause & effect of mods :roll:

·
Registered
267 Posts
thanks for the reply Rubi Jane. I do not have any issues with the rear shock can, no dents no contact points. I do have an RE adjustable front trac bar, but nothing is binding or hitting on that . I have so much clearance there I have a WARN front diff skid and still nothing is even close to contacting. Noise travel makes finding the source hard...even though I swear it feels like it is coming from the area under my feet or forward of that it may be coming from another spot. I checked the motor mounts and every moving and none moving part. My next step is to remove the door and have my wife drive while I hang out looking under the jeep (a tad risky but this driving me crazy). I also plan to tie fishing string to a few componets. I know from fishing the line is very good at transmitting vibes. I may tie a line to the LCA or a few other suspect parts and hold the other end while I drive and induce the bump/thumping to see if I can isolate the sorce...sounds crazy but it has come to that.

G

·
0 Posts
Here is where I was getting a thump that seemed to be right at my feet. Take a look at your 4wd shift lever. My wife actually found it for me. I was on a real bumpy road, and was getting the thump, she happened to look at it and see it moving. She put her hand on it and the thumping stopped, took it off and it came back. All I did was readjust the linkage underneath and the thumping went away. Something to look at.

Ron

1 - 20 of 27 Posts