Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received it today and I had no idea how heavy duty this thing was going to be.

Makes the stock skid look like a soda can.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you think that is bad, go take a look at the older '98's and '99's with what they called a a skid. I like this new one, it's definately stronger than the others, but nowhere near the strength of a Kilby's. I did get a warning from a friend that just has some tank work done on his Rubi, the dealership needed a special tool to drop the tank, they needed to disconnect the emission lines that run from the top of the tank to the canister in the rear passenger wheel well. Some type of special connection clip. I'll take a look in my FSM.

Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just pulled out my gas tank last weekend and there was no special tool required. I used a pair of plyers that is meant for hoses. They curve around at the end so the come together at a point, not just flat together like normal pliers. A screwdriver pushing in the retaining clips also worked. It wasn't hard at all.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I have seen a package of fuel fitting pliers at my local Sears store. They all have the formed ends to wrap around the fittings. 3 or 4 sizes as I recall. Don't recall the price though.

Jerry

·
Registered
454 Posts
I really don't think they would be necessary. I took my tank off without any problems at all. The fittings all went back on with a nice reassuring click.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No tools necessary for the fuel lines!

Brad's got a link to an instruction page he wrote up for the 03's. Send him a note and tell him you bought one of his skids, and he should send you the link. All of the fuel system connections are basically of the same design.......a flat side and a round side.....all you have to do is push in the center on the round side of the connection, it spreads out the retaining clip, and then you just pull the line apart. Picture the letter U.......By pushing at the bottom of the U you cause the upper portions to spread open.....Dat's how the clips work.......No tools needed.....So spend your money on some more Jeep parts.....even though it is fin to buy tools too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts