Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering the K & N FIPK, even though I have no complaints about the power of my stock Rubi.
Any input, pro or con, will be appreciated. Also, will I create any oem warranty problems?
TIA.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Had one, sold it. I saw no significant difference in performance or fuel economy. I do drive in very dusty conditions and I found dust in the intake tube. I guess you need to add a prefilter on top of the filter to help this problem. I also had a loud whistle develop from the throttle body. It was intake related and when I removed the K&N it went away (or I don't hear it anyway). The only thing I did like was the reusable filter, and the million mile guarantee. My .02 is save your money, (for other mods).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stevo,
That says a lot.
You spent a couple of hundred bucks and took it off.
It must be too good to be true.
Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K&N FIPK

I have one on my Rubi, first dusty run found dust inside tube and little in throttle body, I just installed filter right out of box. Since then I had washed & oiled per instructions and have been on very dusty runs with out any dust in tube or throttle body. No differnce in fuel economy but I notice more power above 2000 rpm.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M715Brian,
Thanks for the info.
I'm not going to buy it.
:D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K&N FIPK

Good choice and save the cash, might consider just the drop in K&N filter for stock air box.

I did have dramatic results with FIPK in my 96 Bronco though.

But not really worth the money for wranglers.

Brian

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the drop in K&N on mine, no dust in the intake, works fine. I don't see any improvement in gas mileage, but seems to breath easier and you can clean it instead of throwing it away.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can definitely tell a difference in both the gas mileage and power. I am noticing that I fill up less often while driving the same distances. I kinda like that throaty sound on acceleration too :D As for that whistle, it is annoying so I just turn up the stereo.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I received the K&N FIPK for Christmas, and installed it on my 2003 Rubi today. I agree with Maximmus, I can definitely feel the difference in power and I love the sound now when accelerating. As horsepower goes (this is supposedly worth 10 to 12 hp at 4500 rpm), $250 is not a bad price if you're looking for more. I suspect that there will be a small fuel mileage increase as well. It also looks great under the hood. Next I am going to install a Bank's Stinger (cat-back) system (next birthday present??) :D

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i have the drop in and its fine
no real diff other then i neevr have to buy another
filter. its wash n use again is a big advantage in the
dusty desert..

was approx 45.00

mac

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
While the forum was gone I got a Air Raid intake myself with the TB spacer. It seems to have added a bit of boost also. I havnt finished my first tank of gas with it so I dont know if it improved milage but i hear it does.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't really know if it does much..Exhaust is much throatier and now I have more space under the hood for other plans...No more stock air box..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fipk

I put one on about a month ago and have nothing but good things to say about it, just don't overestimate what it is meant to do.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
walc said:
I'm seriously considering the K & N FIPK, even though I have no complaints about the power of my stock Rubi.
Any input, pro or con, will be appreciated. Also, will I create any oem warranty problems?
TIA.
I am going to play Devils Advocate here and say NO. Here is my reasoning: http://www.gadgetonline.com/airinduction.htm#K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit

This is a good friend of mine who spends a lot of time doing research on products, knows a lot of people in the business and just is very knowledgable in my opinion.

His site states that the K&N allows particules to pass through the K&N, and if you have ever looked at a K&N filter you can see light when you look at one. Toyota also tested the K&N and noticed a loss in power, according to TRD (Toyota Racing Development). Just check out his site and give it some thought. Many will argue my thoughts, as well as my friends and that is fine, we are all entitled to our own opinions. I am simply giving you a different outlook, with some real life testing with some realistic and factual numbers.

To those that have them, I would recommend the Desert Cover they make for them..........just my thoughts.

:Military Jeeper:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmmm now that is some interesting data. I wonder how well the stock air filter on the Jeep would compare to it. Since it is a 2 stage filter also. Foam then paper. I wonder who has a dyno in town that I can check some things out on.

Ron :pBR:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for doing the dirty work........I have ran Amsoil in both my Toyota's with great success as far as filtration. I don't think anyone really notices a difference is gas mileage in any drop-in filter, I just like the peace of mind of having it, and it's cleanable.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hard to argue with your friend when he backs up his opinion with dyno specs....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vulcan said:
Hard to argue with your friend when he backs up his opinion with dyno specs....
True.........but you know how some people can get, especially if they own one. They feel the need to argue that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread because they have it on their Jeep when in reality it isn't helping, and possibly could be harming their engine.

I just show the facts that I am aware of, and hope that it helps someone.

:Military Jeeper:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts