Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my stock air filter with the K&N one.....Seat of the pants feels a little crisper around town.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ran a K&N in my 2000 Tj until I opened the housing up to clean the filter and saw all the dust stuck in the air intake.

Those things let a lot of dust by. Dont mean to rain on your parade. Just FYI!

Mark Shelton

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that the K&N's claim to fame was that it flowed more air while trapping smaller particles than the stock paper filter? I guess its the old saying.....There is no free ride!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
mlshelton said:
I ran a K&N in my 2000 Tj until I opened the housing up to clean the filter and saw all the dust stuck in the air intake.

Those things let a lot of dust by. Dont mean to rain on your parade. Just FYI!

Mark Shelton
Did you oil the filter... Or did you just use the factory oiled system... I would suggest even though the filter comes oiled ( if it says it does) I would pick up some K&N oil and give it a good coating.

JMO

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I just installed the Turbo City air tube and K&N filter on my Rubi, (had it on my '98TJ). I kept it cleaned and oiled and never noticed any dust or other perticulates in the intake system. It does you give you a little boost in HP. I still use the drop in K&N filter in our XJ.

G

·
0 Posts
I run a K&N down here in the silty sand and have not had any get past the filter yet. Then again I did oil it before I put it in. I didn't trust the factory oil job. Now mine does fit in rather snugly, so check your fit. It shouldn't be loose.

Ron

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the proof is in their advertising.

I have seen them say the dirtier it is the more dust and dirt it will stop. Using that logic wouldn't it not stop as much dirt and dust when it is newly cleaned and oiled?

I dont think it is worth it for the few ponies you gain.

Just my thoughts.

G

·
0 Posts
Vulcan and PBR Stitch....are you guys using the drop in replacement or the FIPK open-element. I've been looking at doing the open element, but then I just read somewhere that they aren't that great in wet environments. The nice thing about the drop-in's is that they are a LOT cheaper than the FIPK. Any thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
I have the drop in style. I didn't see the cost per gain being worthwhile for the FIPK kit, and had concerns about water. It looks to be better shielded than the stock, but a big opening like that just bothers me. I went the easier/ cheaper way and decided to leave it at that. I didn't get the filter expecting a trememdous improvement, more because I wanted to save money by being able to clean it.

Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think what a lot of people forget is the heat factor. There are very few intake systems available that will guard the engine heat from the filter. The stock airbox is actually not that bad, it keeps the air reasonably cool and it is placed in the best spot in the engine bay. The best solution would be to get a bigger airbox and a bigger tube to feed the TB. However, all of this doesn't mean squat because the damned TB and intake manifold is so small.

The only reason I put in a stock replacement K&N is that if water gets into the intake, the paper element won't break down and possibly get sucked into the intake. Also, if you go through a dust storm or something all you have to do is wash the K&N off with water, reoil, and you're on your way.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Theep said:
Vulcan and PBR Stitch....are you guys using the drop in replacement or the FIPK open-element. I've been looking at doing the open element, but then I just read somewhere that they aren't that great in wet environments. The nice thing about the drop-in's is that they are a LOT cheaper than the FIPK. Any thoughts?
The nice thing about FIPK is that you gain so much room under the hood for extra's. I am happier with my FIPK than my stock box by far. There is not wrong or right here...It is personal preferance.

Cheers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Theep said:
I have the drop in (stock replacement filter) K&N filter. I looked on the K&N website and didn't see a FIPK for the Rubicon (or any 2003 TJ).

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i put the drop in K&N filter and first tank i got 16% more miles....
thats 38 miles on a tank .....Woooooooooooo!

time will tell....

main reason i got it is can clean and oil. went thru 2 paper type filters
in 4500 miles.

K&N high flow airfilter PN # 33-2114

:wink:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have the drop in and my mileage so far has actually dropped. But I have alot more pep now :lol:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have always put K&N's in my cars and trucks and have never had a problem with them at all. My 96 Dodge cummings had just over 200,000 miles on her when I sold her..

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Lothos said:
I have the drop in and my mileage so far has actually dropped. But I have alot more pep now :lol:
i forgot to mention....i pulled the trumpet off the stock box...
i put it back on when i go wheeling.

G

·
0 Posts
Does that trumpet just snap on and off? I thought pulling it might be worth a couple of extra ponies.....

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
rubicon bob said:
Does that trumpet just snap on and off? I thought pulling it might be worth a couple of extra ponies.....
kinda snaps off if you pull and twist ......dont give up its tuff the first time
gets a little better the times after.
i always put the "trumpet" back on before going out in the desert.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Any general concern about water exposure with the K&N FIPK Ive run K&Ns on all my other vehicles but they where lifted and filter was towards back of engine.

With the intake area so close to the front Im a little worried about putting a K&N FIPK on it.

As of right now I was going to just do a K&N replacment, but would prefer the FIPK for the added Horses.

Dave
03 Rubicon
02 Jeep Liberty
81CJ5

1 - 20 of 24 Posts