Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unloading my my jeep from my trailer just before I went out wheelin. I noticed that a cup was missing from the driver side front axle U- joint ...the cup just plane fell out joint was in perfect shape ..my guess is the cup spun and popped the C-clip and it fell out while I was driving around town...If had not caught it I whould probably be screwed my stub axle and maybe my innner axle would have been killed.. and the cause would be determined as abuse... no doubt ..but because I caught it before it damaged the axles i think I should be okay...fixed it on the trailer..man it is easy to pull the axles on a rubi...sucks putting the axle back in because the tube is full of crud and never sure what you may push in there

I had read that front axles had a weakness with cups falling out...well with 2500 km on the Rubi...it is a fact...I am going to tack weld the cups so this doesn't happen again...

warranty guy was away this week at my dealership so I will give you an up date later ..the funny thing is I was at the dealership a month ago asking about if he had seen or heard anything about front axle problems.. he had said no...I am guessing that is about to change

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
This is not good. Keep us informed, please.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
I'm very familiar to this. I've had mine for 10 months and has happen twice....one time per side. I have mine all mod up and Jeep still paid for everything!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealer takes a look at the axle... and says..

First the Service Manager is an old tuff truck, rally racin type of guy so he knew the questions to ask ...but he also wasn't completely up on the axle on the new TJ either.... but we both could talk up a storm about the old CJ so pointing out the difference in the axle ears..made a lot of sense to him ....See ....another reason to own at least one CJ in your life time

so I pointed out the cap fell out, & had the Ujoint sitting for his inspection , he Said he couldn't believe that they could fall out so I showed him my jeep with the C-clip hangin out of it in the parking lot ...he called engineering .....they apparently have one guy assigned to exclusively to warranty claims on the Rubicon ... When they removed the axle he was able to push the U-joint out with his fingers... then then he order me up one complete axle inner and outer with the joint...the stub is a standard part number the inner is specific to the Rubi...he agree that their didn't seem to be a lot of metal on the ears of the axle shaft...and said it would be covered under warranty...yes he told me this can't become a regular thing...

they have been using this axle with the larger U-Joint for years but i guess since they were only on open diff axles this problem wasn't really an issue until the air locker...I still think if they did away with the c-clip and went back to the spring clip in the center of the cap this could have been avoided.. at least this early in the game ... the Joint would still have failed but it would have taken a helluva lot longer

parts will be in later this week I will snap some shots of the old axle ...if it helps anyone else get warranty great...

I will tack weld the caps on the the new axle while it is out....the other axle ...I don't know

getting a price on some after market shafts with some bigger beef around the axle..not sure on that either..didn't think I would be going there with only 2500 kms on the jeep

G

·
0 Posts
Is there any way you can find out the name and number of the engineer who handles the warranty claims for DC. It would be nice to just hand this information over to my dealer if and/or when this happens to me so that I won't have to hassle with trying to get the dealer to cover it.

What about reporting the problem to, oh I can't remember the name, they handle potential recall problems and make the manufactures do recalls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts