Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a well known fact, at least to the internet experts, that Jeep screwed up the defroster vent to the windshield. What I know from experience with mine is that it does blow harder in the middle than on either end of the windshield. A good friend of mine sent me a link to a DIY fix that I think is near brilliant.

The holes in the defrost panel are approx. 1/2" square, so there are standard plugs made that push right into the holes and block flow.

These are sold on Amazon:

They are labeled as 5/8", but they fit the 1/2" holes perfectly and cover the plastic surround.

I ordered a package of 8, so my OCD did not let me leave 1 hole in the center of the 8, but off center on the dash. Anyway, it did make a difference, but I have more incoming as it seems to need more restriction in the center to force more to the edge. The nice thing is, these can be moved to change the amount of floe to different parts of the windshield.

But I think in the end this should work well.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
That's pretty cool. We haven't noticed the issue with our '19, but now that I will be looking for it I probably will :LOL: .

I've got a bunch of those plugs for square tube welding projects.

- DAA

·
3,634 Posts
I bet its the same with my gladiator. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: mac and Desert Dog

·
Administrator
15,138 Posts
I bet its the same with my gladiator. Thanks for the link!
Please let me know if the plugs fit your Gladiator ....if they do i will get some plugs
added to my "wish list";)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For you guys with JTs, I measured the holes in my Jeep today and they are 1/2" inside to inside. The 5/8" plugs are 5/8" outside to outside and fit the 1/2" defroster holes perfectly.

Hope that helps some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts