Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the NAG1 transmission run without all four wheel speed sensor working? I understand that the NAG1 is more dependent on it's wheel speed sensor than some other transmissions. I had a rear wheel sensor go out on me and it was pretty hairy getting home. Brakes seem to randomly come on and off; trouble accelerating, etc. If more than one went out would the Jeep even drive?

I'm coming up on my 100k maintenance and I'm thinking it makes sense to replace all four and throw the current sensors in the spares box.

Thoughts? Similar problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Maybe some JK owners will chime in. I do have friends with JK's and know that the bad sensor will trick the Jeep, thinking there is a stability or traction problem and causing the drivability issues you mention, but it's not the transmission. Believe there is some sort button pushing sequence that can be done with the traction and stability controls to make it drivable, but has to be redone every time the Jeep is started.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The problem is when the sensor works intermittently. It starts to think you are in a stability situation. Pretty much all news cars are like this. Blame Government legislation for this.

I wouldn't waste the money replacing all the sensors. Just do the one that's failed.

If you were on a trip and one failed you can turn off most of the abs and stability features by holding your esp switch on the center dash for 5-10 seconds. If that wont work the you can just disconnect one sensor permanently. Disconnected the lights will light up on the dash and disable the system. Like I said the problem is when it works erratically and the controller thinks it is reading a panic situation.

• Helpful
Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 3 of 3 Posts