Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
3,425 Posts
I looked through the thread but couldn't find what tires you are running. Some tires make DW more likely and it will get worse as they wear and age. Hopefully you've conquered the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I looked through the thread but couldn't find what tires you are running. Some tires make DW more likely and it will get worse as they wear and age. Hopefully you've conquered the issue.
I am running BFG KO2 34X10.5R17's. They are under 34 inch diameter and not very wide compared to a lot of JK tires I see out there.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You have previously said that the caster angle was good. I assume the MC lift came with caster cam bolts.
I am running a lot of caster. I was running cam bolts cranked with drop brackets but now have adjustable control arms. The problem with too much caster is the front drive shaft. I only have 2.5 lift and if memory serves me I settled on 6.5 caster.

I wonder if a 34x10.5 would be worse than a 33 or 35x12.5. A wider tire moves around in the pavement grooves more but the sidewall would have more leverage on the narrow tread. Not saying your tires are the culprit, just thinking out loud.

One of my oldest friends works at a Ford store and we have this conversation often. The internet tells you there is a cure but that cure can vary so much. The dynamics of a vehicle with regards to equipment and tolerance stacking can influence so many different things.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You have previously said that the caster angle was good. I assume the MC lift came with caster cam bolts.
I am running a lot of caster. I was running cam bolts cranked with drop brackets but now have adjustable control arms. The problem with too much caster is the front drive shaft. I only have 2.5 lift and if memory serves me I settled on 6.5 caster.

I wonder if a 34x10.5 would be worse than a 33 or 35x12.5. A wider tire moves around in the pavement grooves more but the sidewall would have more leverage on the narrow tread. Not saying your tires are the culprit, just thinking out loud.

One of my oldest friends works at a Ford store and we have this conversation often. The internet tells you there is a cure but that cure can vary so much. The dynamics of a vehicle with regards to equipment and tolerance stacking can influence so many different things.
I have the MC adjustable control arms, castor is set at the recommended 5 degrees. The pinion angle is very good, I'm kind of wondering if more castor would help, but if the problem is now fixed I won't mess with it.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would add a piece of information I have noticed about Death Wobble cases.

If you have a truck that is not having problems when the tires, especially larger than stock, are running normal pressure and putting down a normal contact patch, it may be a borderline case that hasnt shown symptoms. A lift install with some bad components or bad castor, toe in and other could be at play. And then when you bump up the tire pressure, and it doesnt take much to get the tire up on the center, here comes the death wobble. Drop the tires back to normal and it goes away again. But if the jeep is that close to being unstable then it needs some work. But running the tires too hard can definitely be less stable then running normal pressure.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts