Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weighed my AEV Jeep wrangler Rubicon 2014 and at 6300 lbs loaded, with passengers. I will be adding a rooftop tent that will add 150 lbs.

Which big brake kit would you use? I am looking at three right now, Tereflex, Mopar, Dynatrack

The big question is should I get a big brake kit with new calipers? Dynatrack says you don't need them and their kit reuses the stock calipers. Tereflex and Mopar come with new duel piston calipers.

Note AEV wheels have minimal clearance but AEV says the Dynatrack will fit.

Thanks
Near the ghost town of Rhyolite, Death Valley Ca

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Go with the Mopar, it includes the J8 brake booster and master cylinder and reservoir and that will let you take advantage of the dual piston calipers. Or you can mix and match to save some money, buy the J8brake booster and cylinder and the crown big brake kit.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If I remember correctly the mopar kit uses Ram calipers, pads, not sure on the rotors? I mention this because you don't want to buy a kit that uses expensive one off replacement parts.
A kit that just uses caliper brackets and rotors will give you a mechanical advantage but to get the real deal you need a hydraulic advantage also and with that you need calipers and a master cylinder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided to go with Dynatrack ProGrip. For $1119 delivered. I get 4 oversized rotors, over size brake pads and new caliper housings re-using the stock calipers. Yes I know twin or more piston caliper can give you more braking force. But the sales pitch and the forum reviews claim that this set up improves the brakes considerably and this is all you need.

I will install myself and give a review.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts