Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weighed my AEV Jeep wrangler Rubicon 2014 and at 6300 lbs loaded, with passengers. I will be adding a rooftop tent that will add 150 lbs.

Which big brake kit would you use? I am looking at three right now, Tereflex, Mopar, Dynatrack

The big question is should I get a big brake kit with new calipers? Dynatrack says you don't need them and their kit reuses the stock calipers. Tereflex and Mopar come with new duel piston calipers.

Note AEV wheels have minimal clearance but AEV says the Dynatrack will fit.

Thanks
Near the ghost town of Rhyolite, Death Valley Ca

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Go with the Mopar, it includes the J8 brake booster and master cylinder and reservoir and that will let you take advantage of the dual piston calipers. Or you can mix and match to save some money, buy the J8brake booster and cylinder and the crown big brake kit.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If I remember correctly the mopar kit uses Ram calipers, pads, not sure on the rotors? I mention this because you don't want to buy a kit that uses expensive one off replacement parts.
A kit that just uses caliper brackets and rotors will give you a mechanical advantage but to get the real deal you need a hydraulic advantage also and with that you need calipers and a master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided to go with Dynatrack ProGrip. For $1119 delivered. I get 4 oversized rotors, over size brake pads and new caliper housings re-using the stock calipers. Yes I know twin or more piston caliper can give you more braking force. But the sales pitch and the forum reviews claim that this set up improves the brakes considerably and this is all you need.

I will install myself and give a review.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I have the dynatrac. While it was a very nice system with my 35s it hasnt impressed with 37s. Since I already have the larger discs I will be getting the mopar J8 booster/MC and the crown dual calipers. Ive run the Dyna rotors with the original pads, black magic and now EBC green F&R. Its ok. I want better. My jeep weighs 62xx IIRC, with NO one in it. hahahah.

Reactions: rlenglish and Mouse

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP here, installed the Dynatrack last week and did the required brake in. On my heavy overland Rubicon with 35's, and up to 6400 lbs, and so far much better braking control than stock. Much better and very happy with the brake upgrades the braking now feels good for my heavy rig.

I did want the duel caliper pistons but the stock single as advertised is good. Please post up when you change out your calipers to duel pistons. That would be good information for all of us upgrading the brakes.

·
Administrator
10,917 Posts
I had the Vanco big brake kit on my LJ and it was an improvement but when Blaine (mrblaine) installed hydro assist steering and hydro assist breaking (replacing the vacuum master cylinder) holy cow what a huge improvement. I'm talking a mega improvement - braking improved by a factor of 2x. I'm on 37s and I weigh in at around 5k pounds and have full vehicle control on steep descents.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
What hydro assist did you use to replace the master cylinder?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bob, The Dynatrac pads are much larger than stock and the reason for the larger caliper bracket. Don't know about the Crown calipers.

Just saying I'm very pleased with the Dynatrack Big Brake kit with stock calipers. A few days ago while scouting 4x4 trails around Mono Lake area and was doing 60 MPH down the steep Tioga Pass when a passenger car darted out in front of me from a view point pull out and I had to slam on the brakes. The big heavy 6400 lb JKUR AEV handled excellent in this panic brake mode. Before with stock brakes I would have been in deep sheet!

Tioga Pass California

Lightning strike started this range fire near Mono Lake just east of Mono Craters Volcanic area

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Bob, The Dynatrac pads are much larger than stock and the reason for the larger caliper bracket. Don't know about the Crown calipers.
On my Dynatrac big Brake kit I used the stock calipers and the supplied pads were the same as the stock pads. Do they make a kit with larger pads?
The brackets I got were basically built to move the stock caliper and pads out to accommodate the larger diameter rotors. If I remember correctly the stock rotors are 12.8" in diameter front and rear and the Dynatrac rotors are 13.5 front and 14" rear.
I was just wondering if there is a 2 piston caliper that fits in the stock or Dynatrac bracket. I don't think this would be possible looking at the stock setup.

Those fires suck. Visability is like a couple miles here in Bako.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On my Dynatrac big Brake kit I used the stock calipers and the supplied pads were the same as the stock pads. Do they make a kit with larger pads?
The brackets I got were basically built to move the stock caliper and pads out to accommodate the larger diameter rotors. If I remember correctly the stock rotors are 12.8" in diameter front and rear and the Dynatrac rotors are 13.5 front and 14" rear.
I was just wondering if there is a 2 piston caliper that fits in the stock or Dynatrac bracket. I don't think this would be possible looking at the stock setup.

Those fires suck. Visability is like a couple miles here in Bako.
I looked for an email of phone number to Dynatrack and didn't see one;( Maybe one of the many sellers of the kit can get you an answer or a link to them.

In Reno the smoke has cleared a little today but the last few days we have been socked in with smoke. We have a big local fire adding to the misery:(

Day before we left the Mammoth area the skies were turning steely from the smoke. Obsidian dome trail north of Mammoth Ca.

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
I looked for an email of phone number to Dynatrack and didn't see one;( Maybe one of the many sellers of the kit can get you an answer or a link to them.
Yeah, I have them installed already. They show only one kit for the JK. It uses the stock caliper and pads. So the supplied Dynatrac pads may be of a better compound, but they are the same dimensions as stock. They have to be in order to fit the calipers. From what you said above I figured they had a new kit with dual piston Calipers and larger pads.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting I never compared the stock brake pads to the Dynatrac ones. In my mind they were bigger. I still have the old rotors and pads I'll take a look see when I get a chance.

I met another Jeeper' up on the Kavanaugh Ridge trail and he had the same big heavy Jeep as I and had installed the Dynatrac kit too and really like the stopping performance. He said he tried out the Black Magic brake pads, if I remember correctly, but went back to the Dynatrac because of excessive brake dust.

Kavanaugh Ridge a few days ago.

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Interesting I never compared the stock brake pads to the Dynatrac ones. In my mind they were bigger. I still have the old rotors and pads I'll take a look see when I get a chance.
The Dynatrac pads have to be the same size as they go in the same caliber. The caliper and pads mounted fit into the new bracket.
I am not sure who makes the Dynatrac pads. The front pads look pretty aggressive. I also have heard about the Black Magic pads creating lots of dust. And I have heard if you don't follow the break in of them they don't work as well. It's sort of hard to do a break in like that when you live in the middle of a city.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts