Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. Just picked up a 2013 JKU last weekend. Since that picture was taken she already has fresh shocks, a winch, new hood latches, and some cheap-o grab handles. Looking at fresh tires next and contemplating a mild lift to help with ground clearance when loaded down for a trip. We are heading to Ozark National Forest in November for her first overlanding trip!

6389F80C-325C-4592-AFA5-5D9063D5CA1C.jpeg

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Welcome aboard. Great looking pup!

·
Administrator
10,993 Posts
Good looking family photo! If you want to get serious about running the more difficult trails (more challenging than say a Forest Service road) you will greatly benefit from taller tires. 4-doors are quite capable off-road with 35" tires on even hard and difficult obstacles. A few years ago I was leading a trail in St George (Utah) that was rated 3.5 out of 5. One of the peeps in my group had an almost stock 4-door Rubicon and I think I had to pull (we call that strapping) him over a fairly small ledge. If he was even a little lifted he would have popped up and over. Then he got a flat tire since his tires were basically street SUV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to get serious about running the more difficult trails (more challenging than say a Forest Service road) you will greatly benefit from taller tires.
We are convoying with a Toyota Tacoma so we can't be getting too technical now haha! Great advice though...I really want to lift it and put 35s on....but I just got it a week ago so need to calm down on the mods and get some miles under it first!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nice rig and I love your co-pilot. Our 90 pounder gets the whole back seat to herself.
I agree to run it until you need new tires and then decide what direction you want to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha I'm sure this spoiled boy will get the whole back seat too! Unfortunately the previous owner of the Jeep blatantly did not rotate the tires...ever it seems (and the spare is the factory mud terrain that was never rotated in). It has all-terrains on it now, but they are worn really weird. We rotated them hoping to start evening them out, but I definitely need new ones before winter regardless (midwest girl here). Just trying to decide if I want to run whats on it for 2 weeks in the Ozarks or if its smarter to get 5 fresh ones now....and if I get fresh ones do I want 33s since we're putting some lift/leveling blocks in anyway. Decisions....decisions...

·
Administrator
10,993 Posts
All Terrain T/As are very good all around tires, I have them on my truck. Not sure how good they are in snow but I suspect they would be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The B F G All Terrain T/A KO2 tires have the 3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake Severe Snow Rating. Significantly better in snow than Mud Terrains. And really good for about everything else. Some Jeep Dealers have a buy 3, get 1 for $1 promotion going on now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some Jeep Dealers have a buy 3, get 1 for $1 promotion going on now.
Shouldn’t it be buy 4 get one free 🤔
In any case the problem isn’t the type of tire I currently have, but rather the fact that they are worn so uneven. One tire has a strange helical wear pattern... trying to correct it now. Probably going to put 33s on next anyway to go with the 1” lift and level going in this weekend.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've owned a Fuso FG140, 2004 Rubicon, Nissan NV2500 4x4, Toyota Tacoma, and a Toyota Tundra all with BFG KO2s. They are a fantastic tire. The 2015 Rubicon I now own came with 35" BFG KM2s. I'm very impressed with this tire too. They're noisier than the KO2s but not to the point that it would influence whether I'd buy them again. If the KM2s wear well ( I rotate all five tires every 3,000 miles) and last 40,000 miles then I'll buy them again. If not, I'll buy the KO2s.

·
Administrator
10,993 Posts
We had the All Terrain T/A KO2s on our old Jeep Liberty and they got noisy after about 10k miles but that was a pretty basic vehicle with not very good soundproofing. My F250 diesel truck is noisy enough to where I can't hear any tire noise (even hard to hear the radio sometimes.) The All Terrain is a very popular tire with our national wheeling club for the peeps that like to run the easier trails. For the serious rock crawler, there are much better choices available (I run Nitto Trail Grapplers.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts