Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My AEV 2014 JKUR top of the line stock in dash radio went dead. No symptoms, just started the Jeep up to head out on the trail and no radio power. The fuse is good. When I get the time will check to see if the radio has power. If the radio is bad and even if it isn't I would consider installing the Stinger Off-Road HEIGH10 Multimedia Center, 10in replacement in dash radio. Expensive at $1145 + install kit $395.

Benefit is I will have a 10 inch display built in the dash that will run GAIA GPS. That will eliminate the bulky and clumsy 10 inch iPad that is difficult to see. I have also been using my iPhone for GAIA and the small screen and the poor touch screen with GAIA makes it a hazard if used on the trail or highway while in motion. Also 4 cameras can be installed and it is a modern up-to-date radio upgrade with Apple play or car play. I don't know much about this being a senior but looks like cell phone type function device with apps. No whoopee there for me but if I try may learn some stuff.

Couple more issue with the stock Jeep dash mount radio and GPS unit. Chrysler has abandon upgrades to the Garmin GPS and it cannot be trusted and it does not have topographic map tracking capability. Noteworthy, I spent over a 100 bucks and several days and many hours on the phone and ended with failure to upgrade the radio Garmin GPS. Then the Uconnect company information person told me they were just informed that Chrysler has abandon 2015 and older Chrysler GPS upgrades:(

Here is a UTube review on the new radio. This is Brad's Trail Recon channel. I have seen him in Moab a couple times and have no affiliation with his channel. Posting because it is a good video demonstration for upgrading a JKU dash radio with links and product descriptions.

Please post any comments about this radio upgrade. Is this the best radio for an in dash radio with GAIA capability for my off-roading tracks?

My Jeep Wrangler Gets a HUGE Modern Stereo Upgrade!

Stinger Off-Road HEIGH10 Multimedia Center, 10in
Your Price: $1,145.00

Stinger Off-Road HEIGH10 Install Kit -JK
Your Price: $395.00

On historic Jumbo Grade Road Jeep trail to Virginia City NV. Looking across Washoe Valley to the eastern scarp of the Sierra Nevada Range, Lake Tahoe is on the other side of the mountain ridge.

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Good info, thank you for sharing

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
I used a 10" tablet running Back Country Navigator (Android) which my copilot used to keep us on the trail. I like the idea of using a tablet because it's easier to upgrade and if the tablet goes belly up, it's easy to replace/upgrade unlike a permanent mount media center. The goose-neck tablet mount wasn't in the way most of the time,

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Fixed the radio! Looked around the internet and found several dead JK radio threads and the fix was to disconnect the battery and reconnect. That worked!

My wife reminded me that I had left the dome light on overnight while packing for the next trip and in the morning the Jeep's battery was dead. So dead in fact I had to jump the Jeep battery with another battery for the "smart" charger to start charging. For some reason when the battery was recharged the radio had no power and remained dead our whole last trip. Thanks for looking at the thread and hope this will help someone with a dead JK radio.

Time to complain about modern tech :rolleyes:

Forest Service gave us permission to replace the American Flag on 11,654' Mount Patterson in the Sweet Water Mountains CA

From Mount Patterson looking across Antelope Valley and the town of Walker to the Sierra Nevada Range on the horizon

·
Premium Member
6,222 Posts
Fixed the radio! Looked around the internet and found several dead JK radio threads and the fix was to disconnect the battery and reconnect. That worked!

My wife reminded me that I had left the dome light on overnight while packing for the next trip and in the morning the Jeep's battery was dead. So dead in fact I had to jump the Jeep battery with another battery for the "smart" charger to start charging. For some reason when the battery was recharged the radio had no power and remained dead our whole last trip. Thanks for looking at the thread and hope this will help someone with a dead JK radio.

Time to complain about modern tech :rolleyes:

Forest Service gave us permission to replace the American Flag on 11,654' Mount Patterson in the Sweet Water Mountains CA

Looking across Antelope Valley and the town of Walker to the Sierra Nevada Range on the horizon
Gosh, I miss the good ole simple days

1 - 5 of 5 Posts