Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed these?

I just got a set with my JKS BL and I am wondering if anyone had any clearance issues with the spacers. I know that they changed the passenger engine bracket and some people had problems with various MML and spacers with the 2003s but I have not heard anything about the JKS spacers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ask Stevo, he has a set installed on his. He did the work, I just told him how to do it when he got stuck. Steve - your spotlight...

Ron

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow, another chance to pad my posts. One day I hope to be a Rubicus Maximus too. :D
I would definitely do the install with some help. It goes much easier. We did the drivers side first. You have to actually take the motor mount off the engine as the MM bolt hits the ac compressor. Once we did that the mount and lift went in well. On the passenger side one of the bolts was close and I had to re-lift the engine and tighten the bolt, then lower it into place. It really helps to have helping hands (I had Ron and Chet helping) so you can align the bolts properly. There were no clearance issues using the budget mm lift like what I have read about replacing the entire MM. I would now refer you back to Rons web site and really follow his step by step instructions and pictures. He does a great job of explaining everything. Let us know how you do.
Stevo

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Stevo said:
Wow, another chance to pad my posts. One day I hope to be a Rubicus Maximus too. :D
Stevo
So many posts, so little time.......

I second Stevo's recommendation. I tried installing the goferit MM spacers by myself. No way could I get things lined up. It's on the to-do list when I have 2 men and a boy around to help me.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Hey.....so what exactly are these motor mounts supposed to do for the jeep? I asked this before in another topic but I dont think it got a reply..
Pete

·
Registered
186 Posts
OK, I will try and explain it as I understand it. Someone else chime in if I get it wrong. When you do a lift you change the angle of the driveline and if enough of a change you get vibrations. These can be overcome if you also do a tranny lowering kit. In the Rubi, the transmission skid is already low and lowering it further is not recommended for clearance reasons. If you lift the motor with new higher mounts or a "budget " motor mount lift it changes the angles, again to decrease vibrations. If you raise the motor you also need to change the fan shroud, but if you do a body lift it moves the shroud up and out of the way. A body lift helps not only with tire clearance but with the belly up skids that are in development that require the extra space between the body and tranny and gas tank. I did a body lift, MML during one wrenching session. I drove it awhile until I could afford a suspension lift. There were no vibrations or problems with it. I then did an OME suspension lift without having to do the transfer case lowering kit. Now I have clearance for a belly up skid and bigger tires. The list goes on and on.
HTH
Stevo

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm.. I hope I'm not the only one that did this by himself.... I did the MORE MML, didn't have any problems with it, then again machinery is afraid of me and obeys. Except for the irritating squeak under the hood now from the last wheeling trip. :oops: Here is the link to my install, now realize that it is for the MORE, but you can get the idea here.

MORE MML

Steve did a good job on putting them in. I just offered advise, and got the driver side mount assembly out for him, PITA. Note: Loosen both Motor Mount to Engine bracket bolts before you start dissassembly. It helps to move the motor, and get things out.

Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
So what is the verdict on the spacers? Are they good enough? If they are cheaper and they work, why would you use the MORE MML (assuming the stockies aren't broken)? Has anyone heard of them causing problems or making the stock MM weak?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Triver, I personely have homeade 1" MM spacers on my Rubi that has 5000+ miles on them with no problems... As for the strength issue, I would believe there is no change from stock.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally chose the spacers so that I could keep the stock mount and that replacements would be easy to buy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I thought the spacers would be simpler to install, just unbolt the stock bolts, slip the spacers in and bolt back down...little did I know it was just as much work as installing an entirely new motor mount. Looking at the aftermarket mounts compared to the stock, I think I will be replacing my stock mounts sometime in the future when time and $ allows. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think I am going to use a spacer. I might still actually be able to whine to DC if the motor mounts fail.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have also used home made MML on my 2K and now on my Rubi. I have never had a problem with this set up. The reason I like the spacer is that I have heard that aftermarket MML's don't damper the engine vibrations like the stock one(remember this was built to be comfortable for the everyday driver).

·
Registered
454 Posts
So how did you make "homemade" spacers? Just take 1" steel, drill a couple holes and get longer hardware?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts