Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I actually have a TJ, but I have been collecting parts for several years toward building JK axles and swapping them in, using ARTEC trusses. I had intended to run Truetracs front and rear.

I have a complete non-Rubicon 44 rear axle, which should take the Truetrac without issue.

I also have a Rubicon 44 front axle, that I acquired as a bare housing (did not get the factory locker). Over time I collected all the other stock parts (axle shafts, knuckles, etc). I also intended to run a Truetrac in it. I figured, the non-Rubicon 44 rear is 30-spline, and the Rubicon 44 front is 30-spline, so I should be able to run the same carrier in both (I have already acquired a pair of 913A589 Truetracs)

However, I was at the Pigeon Forge Jeep Invasion a couple weeks ago, and I was explaining my build to the RCV rep that was there (I have a set of factory Rubicon shafts that I intended to use, but was also considering RCVs), and he mentioned that the standard Rubicon shafts are a non-standard length due to differences internal to the Rubicon locker, which I was not aware of. I am concerned now that the standard Truetrac may not work with Rubicon shafts, or there may be other differences in the Rubicon front housing that will prevent the carrier from working at all.

So I am trying to determine what my options are. I believe I am looking at these 3:

1: Truetrac with RCV axles (RCV offers axles for either the Rubicon locker or non-stock carriers), downside would have to buy RCV shafts (~$1450). Unless there is another manufacturer that also offers axle shafts in non-stock lengths.

2: Buy a stock Rubicon locker (between $600-900 right now on eBay), downside I also have to collect any other parts to make it work and wiring to run it in my TJ. Not really sold on the reliability of the stock locker either.

3: Some other type of aftermarket front locker. I know ARB makes one, but it is for 35-spline axles, so price would be locker, axles, and OBA system. I believe Ox also offers a locker for 30-spline axles (just not sure if it works with factory shafts, or would need aftermarket shafts for non-stock carriers), I am also more inclined to manual operated Ox over an air or electric solution.

Any insight anyone can provide would be appreciated. My two primary questions are:

1: Can I make the Truetrac work in the Rubicon 44 front (possibly requiring non-stock shafts), or are there other differences/issues that I am overlooking?

2: Starting with a bare housing, aside from the carrier how much else would I need (as far as rare/expensive parts go) to re-setup the stock locker and wire it for operation in a TJ?

Thanks in advance.

·
2,020 Posts
Welcome to ROF!
Someone will be along. Nice concise questions. I don’t have the expertise.

·
Registered
715 Posts
1: Truetrac with RCV axles (RCV offers axles for either the Rubicon locker or non-stock carriers), downside would have to buy RCV shafts (~$1450). Unless there is another manufacturer that also offers axle shafts in non-stock lengths.

A lot of manufactures sell some type of locker for JK's that use the original axles. What non-stock carrier needs a different length than stock? Rcv's site doesn't list different lenth axles for different carriers.
Eatons site doesn't list True Trac's for the front of a Jeep but I assume this is for liability.
I would give eaton a call before I proceeded. If you don't get results give these guys a call

Welcome to ROF and good luck. Don't be afraid to post some pictures.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

A lot of manufactures sell some type of locker for JK's that use the original axles. What non-stock carrier needs a different length than stock? Rcv's site doesn't list different lenth axles for different carriers.
Eatons site doesn't list True Trac's for the front of a Jeep but I assume this is for liability.
I would give eaton a call before I proceeded. If you don't get results give these guys a call

Welcome to ROF and good luck. Don't be afraid to post some pictures.
They do indeed:

·
Registered
715 Posts
I saw that but they are just replacements for Rubicon axles. Same length and spline count. Fits factory and ARB lockers. So if what you are saying is true then you need different length ones for a True trac?

Edit, so I see the other link, hmm. $1449 the price to play?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry if I missed it but did you give trutrac a call?

Yes, the JK rubicon has different length axle shafts due to the locker. If you aren’t using the locker, I’d assume standard shafts would work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who has responded. After some further research (thanks largely to info and videos published by Dynatrac) I was able to mostly answer my own questions.

It appears that the JK Rubicon locker and bearings are different overall dimensions than standard D44 carriers. The pumpkin therefore has different internal dimensions as well. Standard D44 carriers will not install into a JK Rubicon 44 housing.

For this reason Dynatrac offers 44 axles with two different pumpkins: one that will accept a JK Rubicon locker, and one that will accept a standard D44 locker.

There are a few options I have found that were designed to fit in the JK Rubicon housing.

1. ARB locker (35-spline)
2. Auburn ECTED (35-spline)
3. Ox locker (30- or 35-spline)

For any other D44 carrier (such as the Truetrac I wanted to run), they would only work in a Dynatrac housing.

Thanks again everyone who has followed along with me so far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has responded. After some further research (thanks largely to info and videos published by Dynatrac) I was able to mostly answer my own questions.

It appears that the JK Rubicon locker and bearings are different overall dimensions than standard D44 carriers. The pumpkin therefore has different internal dimensions as well. Standard D44 carriers will not install into a JK Rubicon 44 housing.

For this reason Dynatrac offers 44 axles with two different pumpkins: one that will accept a JK Rubicon locker, and one that will accept a standard D44 locker.

There are a few options I have found that were designed to fit in the JK Rubicon housing.

1. ARB locker (35-spline)
2. Auburn ECTED (35-spline)
3. Ox locker (30- or 35-spline)

For any other D44 carrier (such as the Truetrac I wanted to run), they would only work in a Dynatrac housing.

Thanks again everyone who has followed along with me so far.
Glad you got it figured out. Would love to hear what you end up going with.

Interesting that the internal dimension of the pumpkin is different.

Does Eaton not make one for the Jk rubicon? If not, then I’d get the ARB 35 spline ones.

You could also consider the factory rubicon lockers.

There’s definitely better, but maybe they are cheaper, as take off’s in good condition. One benift of them is it seems the problems with them are well documented and usually fixable. I know there are companies that sell actuator’s and other parts for them, thankfully.

However both my rubcion and my dads 14 rubicon lockers have been problem free, but we don’t beat on them hard. Living in MN most of the stuff here is mud and river beds and stuff, not rock crawling.

My brother has an Ox locker in my old TJ and he seems to like it but I don’t know how much he’s used it.

Best of luck, sorry I can’t be of more help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts