Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to test drive a JKU Rubicon and noticed there is a +- symbol on the auto transmission shifter shift position indicator right below the D for drive.

Please tell me what it does.

I hope it means you can control the gearing up or down for engine braking, for example, controlling speed going downhill. If so how does it work?

Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
In drive can you move the shifter left or right? Looks like it would be a manual shifter option. Maybe it's only a 4 lo thing like the lockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
516 Posts
Up and downshift for hills. Just like you thought.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
When you move the lever sideways it puts the transmission in manual shift mode. The trans will downshift, say you had it in third and braked down to a stop at an intersection, it would shift into 2nd, then first. When you pull away from the stop sign, you will need to manually upshift or it will stay in first. As you go through the gears, when you reach 5th ( in our 2016 JKUR ) one more tap of the lever up will put in back in drive and out of the manual mode.

·
3,387 Posts
When you move the lever sideways it puts the transmission in manual shift mode. The trans will downshift, say you had it in third and braked down to a stop at an intersection, it would shift into 2nd, then first. When you pull away from the stop sign, you will need to manually upshift or it will stay in first. As you go through the gears, when you reach 5th ( in our 2016 JKUR ) one more tap of the lever up will put in back in drive and out of the manual mode.
This is correct - whenever I bump it I totally forget how to put the transmission back into drive, so I usually lay off the gas, shift it into neutral quickly and back into drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts