Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving on dusty roads there is a lot of dust ending up in the rear compartment. Jeep all closed up except for front windows cracked (not down). I was by myself so not driving in somebody else's dust, and the front and back seat areas are fine. It kinda looks like the dust comes in at the lower corners of the tailgate but I can't really see anything wrong with the gasket. It's a 2015 so not that old either. Common issue ? Any proven solutions ?

Thx
C>

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
never noticed tis issue, I don't have any interior pieces in the back of the JKU so I think dust would show up easy

but I don't live in a dusty area like Bend

Might try taping off the area that you think the dust if summing from and see if it stops it. Then go from there.

·
3,471 Posts
I think the official method to look for leaking seals is to use a smoke machine. I'd try something like that for leaks. Might be worth checking the tailgate for excessive movement in the hinges as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Stock hinges and spare carrier?

The hollow steel tailgates aren't intended to hold a lot of weight. If you have larger tires, use bike racks, gas can mounts, or cargo racks on your spare you may have a tailgate shell that is starting to sag. Have you noticed any rattles and/or crack at the welds?

The weight limit for JK Wrangler tire carriers varied by year:
2007-2012 50 pounds
2013 69 pounds
2014-2018 85 pounds

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I think the official method to look for leaking seals is to use a smoke machine. I'd try something like that for leaks. Might be worth checking the tailgate for excessive movement in the hinges as well.
They now vape in Oregon, smoke machines are hard to find :laugh2:

Good idea though, much more practical

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well in lieu of setting off a smoke bomb in the Jeep I crawled around it with a strong flashlight last night. Didn't see any gaps or cracks though. For now I adjusted the tailgate latch a little tighter, let's see if that makes a difference.

Stock spare on the back with nothing else so weight should not be the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts