Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some of you have been to a Jeep Jamboree event before. They're a great experience especially for someone new to off roading. My first time taking my Jeep off road was at he Catskills Jamboree. I've now been to 5 Jamborees, the last 4 Catskills and one at AOAA. The Catskills Jamboree is one of the most popular they run. Last year it sold out in 7 minutes. This year they decided that the Catskills Jamboree would require double occupancy. I've seen that term used on cruises and guided tours, but it is surprising to see on a Jeep event. For the first time in over 20 years they are requiring you to register a passenger when signing up. You don't actually have to bring someone to the event, so it's not a safety or insurance issue, but you'll have pay for one anyway. I emailed asking about the change in policy and they told me that it a few of the Jamborees are now like this. It is to allow more people to attend their most popular events. I'm calling bull. This is a blatant money grab. $700 per Jeep for 2 days of wheeling. It looks like I won't be attending any JJUSA events in the future.

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
They did this for the first time last year. It was double occupancy for the Rubicon Trail when I went. We were told that they would end up loosing money if only one person showed in too many of the Jeeps entered. Rather than increase the price for all entries they decided to require two for certain events that are more expensive to run. For what its worth.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Administrator
10,781 Posts
When I started wheeling, Jeep Jamborees were a good venue to learn but after three or four, the value for the money wasn't there. They pack way too many Jeeps in a group and after a few JJs, my frustration level was exponentially increasing. It's far better to be in a club and run with a small group than 20 or 25 in a JJ group.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
They pack way too many Jeeps in a group. It's far better to be in a club and run with a small group than 20 or 25 in a JJ group.

I'm with you on this one. This is the reason I had never done a Jamboree with them in the past. I did the Rubicon Trial with them because I valued the support including, mechanics, welders, tools, medics, food, water, spotters, etc for this trail in particular due to it's nature and remote location. I must say, "Hats off to Jeep for the class act of an event they put on while running the Rubicon Trail" but it was crowded and slow moving due to the large amounts of Jeeps. I also prefer a smaller club sized group as John mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts