Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 1054 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,001 ·
Do you want to go with something different?
I've been pretty happy with this top, but I may take a look around at what's new, if and when the time comes to replace this one. I like not having the frame to deal with.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,002 · (Edited)
Reservations are made, a date is set, and Moab is the destination. I haven't been there since 2015. My buddy, Kevin, and I will be there from Sept. 10 - 16. Probably not going as hard as we did in 2015. We'd like to hit some of the trails we haven't done.

I put new rear pads and rotors on the Rubi a couple of days ago. I also did a five-tire rotation, put on new wiper blades and made sure my winch was still working. It's a pretty new winch, but you just never know what a winter can do to things.

If this trip gets cancelled, there's going to be a 2006 Jeep TJ Rubicon with 96,076 miles on it, up for sale....lol.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,003 ·
Went to the Jeepers Creepers event at the Psycho Silo Saloon yesterday.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,005 ·
Our Moab trip is rapidly approaching, now if we only knew if Moab will be open. The flooding they got was crazy. I haven't seen anything on trail closures.

• Sad
Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
792 Posts
Our Moab trip is rapidly approaching, now if we only knew if Moab will be open. The flooding they got was crazy. I haven't seen anything on trail closures.
I'd recommend checking TrailsOffroad for recent trip reviews as well as watching Trail Mater's YouTube to see if he divulges any useful information.

·
Administrator
12,089 Posts
You could check with their Visitor's Center or maybe BLM. Another idea is the Grand County sheriff's office (I think that's the county name.)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,010 ·
This time next week I should be in Moab!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,012 ·
Are they recovered from the flooding?
A guy on another forum was out there last week, and things were pretty much normal, or so he said. I did read where the Moab mayor said "We're open, come on out!".

• Helpful

·
Super Moderator
3,951 Posts
Are they recovered from the flooding?
Great question - its good enough to visit and go wheeling already. But, we are just now starting to get video of trail damage. It was an incredible amount of water that swept through

·
Registered
926 Posts
Most of the news we saw was related to Mill creek which runs through town. We have a condo booked for October and I am more concerned about a cancellation than trail damage. Rocks and sand relocation might change plans but I would not worry.

Where are you staying?
It looks very busy there right now, hopefully they all go home tomorrow so you don't have to fight crowds.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,015 ·
Most of the news we saw was related to Mill creek which runs through town. We have a condo booked for October and I am more concerned about a cancellation than trail damage. Rocks and sand relocation might change plans but I would not worry.

Where are you staying?
It looks very busy there right now, hopefully they all go home tomorrow so you don't have to fight crowds.
Scenic View Inn and Suites, I believe it up the hill, out of town, towards the KOA. I don't believe it was there the last time I was there....in 2015. Hope it's not a dump.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Looks new to me. We were there in 2019 and I do not remember it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,018 ·

·
Registered
926 Posts
Google earth must have old sattelite pictures unless you are paying. I see stuff missing from several years ago.

• Wow

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,020 ·
We had a great time in Moab. The Scenic View hotel was really nice. The trailer parking they advertised wasn't quite what we expected. If more than two one car trailers show up, the trailer spots are no more. Kevin's Mega Cab and gooseneck trailer took up a few spots along the back of the lot.

We did 250 miles of trails, and about 250 miles getting to and from the trails. I found a front axle joint about to fail after a day of wheeling. Kevin had spare shafts, so we swapped it out....well he did, apparently he loves that stuff...lol. Nothing like wrenching in the parking lot at 10pm. He bent his factory tranny skid so we bent that back. Oh, a couple of nights before that my front diff quit locking so we opened that up and found the air line had come undone from the upper connection. Nothing a zip tie couldn't fix. We replaced the lower zip tie as well. I will be opening up my rear diff here in the near future and doing the same thing. Other than those minor fixes it was all good.

We did see more rain than on any of our other visits. Most of the rain came as we were getting off of the trails, except for La Sal Pass. Just as we were hitting the summit the rain came and stayed with us most of the way down. It didn't hurt the experience at all, and quite possibly made it more enjoyable.

The trails were not busy. We barely saw anyone. Maybe ten vehicles, while on the trails. The town looked really good, considering the flood they had just weeks before. We heard several people saying "You can't even tell there was a flood". There was some red dirt still on a street or two. If you got off the main drag you could see a few more signs of the flood.

We ate at Zax, The Moab Grill, The Moab Brewery, The Moab Diner, Canyon Pizza and even McDonalds (breakfast).

I think our fuel bill, for towing the Jeeps out, was right around $1700. The hotels (we spent one night on the way out) were right at $1700 as well. We each used around 6 gallons of gas every day, so around $25 a day. We drove 19 hours straight through on the way home. Once in Iowa it seemed kind of stupid to stop. I mean arriving home at 4am makes sense, right?

I'm going through 2000 photos and editing them, so there'll be fewer once I'm done. I will also post some up once I'm done.

Our plans for next spring are to go through both of our Jeeps, fix / overhaul a few things and shoot for The Rubicon Trial. I guess time will tell, but it's good to have goals.

1001 - 1020 of 1054 Posts