Rubicon Owners Forum banner
961 - 980 of 1002 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,919 Posts
Even though there were years where I could not drive a jeep, there was never a day, I did NOT regret selling my first TJ
The same thing happened when I sold my Buell.

I was able to buy back my Buell, and buy another TJ, and no matter how little I use both, I will never sell either one again.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #962 ·
I'm taking the Rubi in Friday to get new shocks and springs (which I already have) installed. I'm either too lazy, too old or too smart to do it myself these days.

Reactions: mac and rlenglish

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
778 Posts
Sometimes, I feel like I should sell the Rubi, as there is no place around me to wheel it, and getting someplace, other than an offroad park, doesn't happen very often. So far I've been able to talk myself out of selling it, but I seem to be having that "talk" more and more these days.
Watch YouTube videos about offroading... it'll keep you in the spirit! A couple channels I like that have offroading elements but mainly just remind me how beautiful it is out west and inspire me to make trips out there are Matt's Offroad Recovery and Trail Mater. The latter is relatively new to posting to YouTube but he's buddies with Matt (and well known in the community) and I think recognizes the benefits of just taking a video along with him during his day-to-day job and generating a new income stream.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #965 ·
Watch YouTube videos about offroading... it'll keep you in the spirit! A couple channels I like that have offroading elements but mainly just remind me how beautiful it is out west and inspire me to make trips out there are Matt's Offroad Recovery and Trail Mater. The latter is relatively new to posting to YouTube but he's buddies with Matt (and well known in the community) and I think recognizes the benefits of just taking a video along with him during his day-to-day job and generating a new income stream.
I watch a few here and there, including Matt and his crew, but it's just not the same. I honestly doubt I'll ever get rid of the Rubi, but I also know to never say never. I'm still looking forward to Moab, but I'm not looking forward to the drive, as I much prefer a cross country Harley ride over a cross country Jeep drive.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #969 ·
I have a bunch of wheeling videos on my YouTube channel - Moab, St George, Elephant Butte (NM), San Juan Mountains (CO) and a couple in Arizona. They end about three or four years ago.

(I think that's the link to my channel)
I've watch many of your videos. Even seen you dig a hole or two...lol.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #970 ·
Yesterday I got a new set of Old Man Emu 2" lift springs and shocks installed. The old ones had been put through the paces, so I figured I'd freshen things up a bit before my Moab trip at the end of may.

Here's a shot of our his and her Jeeps....our girls Compass is away at college.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #971 ·
Went out and did some wheeling, just kidding, I went out and flexed the suspension to make sure the new springs and shocks didn't fly out.....lol.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

I also had the opportunity to make sure the lockers still worked...lol. It's been 18 months since I actually went off roading, so you just never know what might have quit working.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #973 ·
This is what I woke up to this morning. Seriously? Stupid global warming.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #974 ·
At the end of May I'm scheduled to go to Moab for a week. I gotta admit, I'm a bit concerned about driving the Jeep there and back. I've hopped a ride on a friends trailer the last two times I've gone, but that doesn't look to be an option this time. The fear of breaking something on the trail, or just having something go wrong on the road is a bit stress inducing. When I travel on the Harley I don't worry about break downs, since renting a Uhaul truck, throwing the bike in the back, and heading home is an option. I don't want to back out of my trip, but if any little thing goes wrong with the Jeep between now and then, I may bail.

A couple thousand miles of driving a 2006 TJ across country seems a bit risky, but time will tell.

·
Registered
895 Posts
When we go to Moab we are a couple thousand miles form home also. Your concerns are the same as mine.
If you travel with a good credit card then you could really handle any problems that come up.
We have booked our Moab trip for the end of October, I am already getting excited.

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
778 Posts
At the end of May I'm scheduled to go to Moab for a week. I gotta admit, I'm a bit concerned about driving the Jeep there and back. I've hopped a ride on a friends trailer the last two times I've gone, but that doesn't look to be an option this time. The fear of breaking something on the trail, or just having something go wrong on the road is a bit stress inducing. When I travel on the Harley I don't worry about break downs, since renting a Uhaul truck, throwing the bike in the back, and heading home is an option. I don't want to back out of my trip, but if any little thing goes wrong with the Jeep between now and then, I may bail.

A couple thousand miles of driving a 2006 TJ across country seems a bit risky, but time will tell.
Your backup could be to rent a U-Haul with an auto transport trailer.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #979 ·
It took about 30-minutes and a whole lot of PB Blaster to get my tire carrier latch pin to let go today, so I could get into the back of the Jeep. Winter was not kind to the Rubi. It seems the rust demons are starting to go full on attack these days. The down falls of living your Jeep life outside, full time, in northern Illinois.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #980 ·
Time is running out, before it's time to leave for Moab. I need to get rear brake pads installed, hopefully next week. I'm still not all that excited about going. I think I've lost the desire to go wheeling. Being so far away from good / free wheeling doesn't help. It still looks as if I'll be driving the Rubi there and back.....which adds to my lack of enthusiasm.

961 - 980 of 1002 Posts