Rubicon Owners Forum banner

881 - 900 of 916 Posts

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,083 Posts
OEM radiator and fluid. It is the only way to stop overheating while offroading.

·
1,646 Posts
Ive tried an...
internet cheapo - worked fine but short life.
Griffin - top quality, decent life, but not outstanding, repairable, but just bought an OEM
OEM - lasted at least as long as the Griffin, but almost half the price.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've read on a few sites that an OEM radiator works best. Why? I would think a quality aluminum multi row radiator would perform better. I've used Ron Davis Racing Radiators before and they performed far better than the replaced stock unit. Just curious. Thanks in advance for the education.

·
1,646 Posts
In my case, the thermostat was the real doorkeeper to cooling. I was able to watch it well through Scangauge in the past and now BlueDriver. I did add a transmission cooler.

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
I've read on a few sites that an OEM radiator works best. Why? I would think a quality aluminum multi row radiator would perform better. I've used Ron Davis Racing Radiators before and they performed far better than the replaced stock unit. Just curious. Thanks in advance for the education.
I've been through three or four different radiators and tried an electric fan, etc., etc., etc. Cooling is designed as a complete system, the water pump flow rate is matched to the radiator, the thermostat housing is matched to the flow requirements and the fan is designed for a certain air flow to expel heat from the radiator. Once you start changing components the balance of the system is upset. If the coolant flows too fast through the radiator there won't be enough heat expelled. If you put a multi row radiator in, the coolant might pass through too slowly. There should be a temperature delta of 20 or 30 degrees from the top radiator hose to the bottom one.

The point I'm making is if you want to improve cooling, all of the components need to be matched. As far as an electric fan, they work good with an appropriate shroud on the trail but they will not perform on the highway - I've tried.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
OEM radiator was installed. Jeep is running and stopping great. I'm still waiting on the bumper to return from paint. The painter was out of blasting sand and had a bit of a time finding some. The bumper should be done by Monday. I did a little touch up painting on the armor and undercarriage.

We took the Rubi to dinner last night and watched a nice sunset on the way home.

The Rubi hit 86,000 miles last night. My Harley is 10 years newer and has more miles....lol.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #887
Warn VR EVO 10-S ordered.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
Also consider the hydraulic MileMarker winch. Compact, efficient, reliable and you only need 14 gauge wire to operate the forward/reverse solenoid. Military vehicles use either a hydraulic or PTO driven pump, electric is too unreliable.

·
3,564 Posts
Warn VR EVO 10-S ordered.
I've got the same winch on my CJ8 Scrambler. I can tell you why I bought it. First, I've run a Warn winch for 15 years on my TJ. Its been rock solid reliable and run through the paces. Also, Warn has done a great job for customer service for a couple of people I know who have used them.

As far as this model, I've not actually used it yet, but am hopeful it is reliable. This is Warn's economy line (is a good bit cheaper than their other models) - I believe they have some Chinese-procured components. The "-S" is for a synthetic line - I only run synthetic line. It's much safer and lighter. the 10K lb rating should be enough for all but the very heaviest jeeps.

The TJ's winch is a XD9000i model. On Warn's website this model is $1000 more than the VR EVO 10-S.

John's hydraulic winch is super powerful and reliable. It also almost completely eliminates the fire risk with most electric winch installations (I've had a friend's jeep burn to the ground because it lacked circuit protection). One negative for the hydraulic winch is hose routing and sharing hydraulic pressure with steering and/or brakes. John might be able to talk more about that.

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
The MileMarker hydraulic winch taps into the power steering plumbing. There's no noticeable impact on steering. A negative that others have mentioned is that the engine needs to be running but 99% of the time when I'm using the winch I'm recovering somebody else. By far the fastest and easiest way to get somebody out of trouble is by strapping.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
I'm researching winches. May I ask why you chose the winch you ordered? Thanks
Warns reputation.
The features this model comes with, such as the wireless remote, synthetic line, water resistance, etc.
Price.

I loved my Superwinch, but it's time has come, and a buddy of mine who bought a Superwinch after I did, got a lot less quality of a winch than I did. It seems they cheapened their build quality, so I'm not willing to try another one, being as how he burnt up two of them, and they weren't under heavy load.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #893
Engine oil / filter changed. Air filter changed. I honestly can't remember the last time these were changed.....I should be ashamed of myself. My Harley addiction has really played havoc on my Jeeps condition, but it's coming back now.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #894
Still waiting on my new Warn winch. FedEx says its out for delivery and should arrive by the end of business today......well it's after 7pm, so I wonder what time the end of business is? I'm getting the itch to wheel, and I really want to have the Jeep ready for a wheeling adventure next year.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #895
It arrived today, even though the delivery time switched to Monday, this morning...lol.

I pulled the line, then spooled it in under load. I'm ready to wheel. Looks like Labor Day Weekend will present me with the chance to do so. 😁

Maybe I'll have new tires by then.....wishful thinking?

·
3,564 Posts
Looks good - should be a good winch for a long time!

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,083 Posts
Looking good, have you played with the winch yet? How do you like it?

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
TJ and JKU Rubicons
5 Posts
I have the previous generation Warn VR-10S on my JKUR for three years now and I can tell you its holding up to weather well from a visual standpoint at least. I bought a brand new, but never mounted Superwinch TS9500 for my TJR and the plastic broke when I removed the winch controller just testing it out. Even the cheap warns have good build quality. I just couldn't spring for the Zeon at the time and the Superwinch was basically half off on craigslist. Superwinch just has a more catchy brand name.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,083 Posts
Thanks, have warns on 2 of my Rubis (9,5ti and 9.5cti). My old superwinch on my other rubi is dying so looking for a replacement.

Reactions: johncanfield
881 - 900 of 916 Posts