Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home today to one heavy ass box sitting on the front porch which contained my wifes birthday present, Trail Skidz for her Rubi. I just unpacked them, once my back gained feeling again from moving the box into the garage, and must say I am pleased. Eddie had them packaged as if they were fine china...although Fed Ex must have beat the piss out of the box judging by all the boot marks on the cardboard. Once I removed the 50 lbs of bubble wrap I finally got a look at these things in person. Not only do they have what looks to be the first REALLY functional step on a rock rail that I have ever seen they have an extremely nice "fit and finish", and best of all it appears all the parts were there (something that didn't happen with my last set of rails). I won't get a chance to install them until tomorrow at the soonest but I will be sure to post some pictures when I do.

Jeremy

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
:new-bday: to your wife...
great present!
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great Gift! You two will absolutely love them. They are a piece of cake to install too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were right, the install was very easy. A few observations I made while installing:

1. Since her Rubi doesn't have a body lift, in order to have the skidz sit flush and level the black diamond plate needs to be trimmed up front (which Eddie points out in the new instructions). I did not trim them simply because the plan is to install a 1" body lift in the near future so we have to live with them having a slightly larger gap in the front for now (only like an 1/8" anyway).

2. On the driver side to address the brake and I think fuel line brackets (plastic hangers) I took the idea from one of the forum members and simply snipped off that little piece that anchors the plastic bracket into the frame both front and rear. That allowed for the brake / fuel line hanger to sit flush against the back plate for the skidz. I was going to silicone that piece onto the back of the skidz bracket but it doesn't appear that those lines are going anywhere considering there are at least 2 more hangers on that side. Have any of you had issues with the lines shifting on you?

I think the wife and I spent about 40 mins installing them, of which 15 mins was spent debating if we wanted to trim the diamond plate or not. So all and all I am very pleased with this purchase, Eddie did a great job on these. I was hoping to post some pictures but I am having some issue with loading them up to my website, not sure what the deal is. I will try to get them updated soon.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the lines go, I debated on whether or not to attach to the bracket and in the end, I put a small dab of JB Weld on them just to keep them there while wheeling. I don't think it'll be much of an issue for you, but I'd check them periodically just to make sure they aren't shifting around on you. I've already rubbed mine on a mild trail and they are none the worse for the wear. Are you planning on putting any kind of anti-skid on the steps? I've been looking for a rubber diamond plate like Eddie has, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm leaning toward Rhino Lining them to keep the wife and kid from slipping on them when they get wet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was debating between leaving them as is or having the Rhino shop spray them, but for now I am going to leave them as is and put some anti-skid tape on them. I had the RRO rails on my XJ sprayed and so far them have held up very well through 2 winters (damn road salt) so I am sure eventually we'll get them sprayed. I can't say that I have seen the rubber piece Eddie has...might have to look into that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eddie,

Is that tread / diamond plate self adhesive on the back or did you need to drill some holes for that?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Something else I thought I'd add. I just got back form Drummond Island and had an incident at a gas station while towing. I hooked the jeep on a barrier and did a number on the fender, but the Jeeperman Skidz saved the day from serious body damage. So, already they earned their keep :shock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts