Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to open up a dialogue with owners in the hopes that we may improve the products that we offer and hopefully develop products based on requests. We work with many types of vehicles and their owners to build the owners want and at the quality they expect. I hope to work with many of you in developing (and some may even get prototype units or huge discounts by working with us from time to time) our line for the Jeep Rubicon. We already build several items specifically for the Rubicon and have worked with some of you in modifying some existing products to fit and compliment your own Rubicons. BTW, thanks for the welcome received from members already on here. - Eddie

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Ned:
"Four questions.

1. the hinge is not reinforced...will this become a problem down the road?

This is what I mean by reinforced:

2. Modular is okay for ease of movement but will it loosen up over time with a full jerry can for instance?

3. Is Jeeperman making the bumpers for Raingler?

4. How does this bumper mount? Same mounting points as the stock bumper or is the cross piece (to which the stock tub rubber mounts attach) removed? What I'm wondering about is the weight on the bumper and the huge amount of leverage created with every pound added. It seems like you would want frame horns (metal extensions that insert into the frame) to help in reducing torque stress.

More pictures please with carrier open, closed etc etc...

I'm in the immediate market for a bumper....a honda helped remove my rear bumper in the ER parking lot as I was taking my 1 y.o. in for 6 stitches.....bummer day! "

Thanks Ned; I'll try to answer these best I can reply by numeral;

(1) Actually the bumpers are beefier than the picture of the blue Jeep. Here is what we have been shipping lately:

The one on the blue Jeep is one of the first of the Rock series, and I have been beating; I mean testing it with 37" MTR, jerry cans, racks full with cooler, and a Hi-lift trying to get a failure. I upgraded the lower brace to 3" for more weld surface and it also raised the Hi lift up by 1" further. Interesting to take note 2 things in the picture you show; of our own hinge that we build compared to the one in the above picture; we use one that is nearly 3" WIDE with dual bearings and the clevis tabe that we also build ourselves, full 3/4" thick and welded into and through both sides of the bumper; same as the solid shaft that you can see is welded through BOTH top and bottom of the fully boxed bumper, just little details that I notice right away. We actually built the very first one of this Rock swingaway over two years ago for a beater CJ that sees extreme duty on the rocks, it was run extensively before we offered a single one of these to the public. To top that, we offer a lifetime warrany for as long as the unit is on the original owners Jeep, which I expect will be a long time for most owners.

(2)Has not so far, we also include Nylock nuts and some stout hardware, I still would recommend checking these along with other critical bolts periodically. We have been testing these for some time as well, I can't afford not too honestly.

(3)Raingler is the parent company of Jeeperman, wholly owned by Raingler Ent. (I still talk frequently with the original owner if any of you may know Sammy and he had extreme input in transition to Raingler in 2002)

(4) All Jeeperman bumpers ever made use frame AND crossmember mounting with at least 10 points. We also are very near completion of some extreme frame tie ins for owners that may carrymore and wheel their rigs herder than I do. Again, been testing these for 2+ years on the rocks in CO/UT/TX/CA trying to cause and expose any weak points long before they make it to full production units.

Pics:

Tons more here:
http://www.raingler.com/shop/categories.asp?catID=30
or email me for anything specific and I will send it to you.
Sorry to hear of the misfortune, I promise you, Honda's fear Jeeperman bumpers. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Eddie - Thanks for the answers to Neds questions. I was about to ask you the same things. I did notice your 3rd brake light. I would rather retain my original factory 3rd brake light, but I don't see a bracket offered to remount this. I know with the different size tires the height would have to be different. Our 3rd brake lights are already spaced off the factory tire holder now, and it isn't hard to run down to home depot and pick up some longer bolts and a couple of spacers to set the height correctly. What are the possibilities of plate for the factory 3rd brake light? Height adjustment could either be spacers ordered from you, or owner supplied.

Ron

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to get some pictures of what someone did to show, but basically the factory brake light CAN be mounted to the stock tailgate with nothing more that a dremel tool and maybe 15 minutes. I could offer something crtainly if more folks would like it though. I also have an idea about allowing relocation to the middle of the swingaway below the tire inset flush to surface on the box steel, what do you think of this?

·
Registered
368 Posts
skidz

got a problem with rock skidz install

came with no instruction, but its not rocket science

so i check jeeperman's website and they have the instruction online http://www.jeeperman.com/skidz/rock/spe ... nstall.pdf so I take a look and says

Loosely assemble the inner plate to the top of the front Skidz mount. Have
a friend help to work it over the frame rail and add lower nut and bolt
assembly and repeat for rear.

without a body lift (like mine) that aint happenin. In general if i had a bodylift on this would have been a snap.

so I basically scrap the instruction and have a go at it.

first off i live in the city and dont have a garage or driveway so im doing this the street and im not on jackstands. None of my boys are around so I enlist my girlfriend to give me a hand.

I start on the drivers side and the brakelines, etc are in the way (mentioned in the instructions) so i pry the plastic holder away from the frame and get a saw blade in there to cut off the tab so the back plate will fit

the top bolt on the rear mount was a pain to get on. there was no way the bolt would slide in the front so nut would be on the inside of the frame. So I went the opposite way and had quite a time getting the washer/nut on the bolt with the body in the way and my girlfriend holding the skidz up. Once once the top nut/bolt was secured, the rest of the drivers side went quick.

So I im sure the passengers side would be a snap, with no brakelines in the way. So i proceed to secure the front mount first this time and then get to the top rear. BIG PROBLEM there is not enough clearance for the mounting plate and the nut. By this time is dark and all I have is a headmounted flashlight so i basically give up and came here to write this.

what do you suggest i do

G

·
0 Posts
dr_shigaloo,
Please keep me posted.
I too don't have a lift and I was planning to order these skids. However, now I'm going to wait to see the solution to your problem.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry that you did not get an install sheet first off. You are about the 3rd person to mention a interference issue on the back mount plate. I can't run into this on any jeep that I have fit, so I must relay a simple fix that a customer told me recently that had this happen. He trimmed a small amount off the interfering bolt that protruded down from the body. I'd like to find out what it is that is actually protruding (maybe a shorter replacement bolt could fix this?) Could you find out what bolt it is that is running down so far as to hit something? I am wondering if DC uses a different bolt from time to time or plant to plant. Please let me know what it is you discover.

·
Registered
368 Posts
walc said:
dr_shigaloo,
Please keep me posted.
I too don't have a lift and I was planning to order these skids. However, now I'm going to wait to see the solution to your problem.
not a problem i'll snap some pics tomorrow too

i should also mention that the body is not perfectly level, i have an arb bumper and the front passenger side flare is right up against it, the drivers side has i bit more room (1/4" to 1/2" - ill get some measurements on this too). But thats the really frustrating part, the tight fit getting the nut on the bolt on the drivers side is just to tight on passengers side.

short of:

loosening the body bolts
jacking the body up
insterting the nut in the front

i cant see how to make fit, and if im going that far I might as well do the body lift and then motor mount lift and then... well thats alot more than slapping on some bolt-on rock rails

G

·
0 Posts
dr_shigaloo,
I feel your pain.
When I inquired of Eddie, several weeks ago, I was not told of any installation problems on a stock Rubicon. Ease of installation is why I was planning to buy the Jeeperman rock skiz. :?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Eddie,

To begin, thank you for taking the time to field questions. Actually, the fact that I have heard so much about the customer service Raingler and Jeeeperman offer and your very complete reply here are what ultimately swayed my decision.

I'm sure you get a million requests, but if you don't mind, I'm gonna make one. I kinda like the blunt end look to the bumper...is it possible to have this as an option? Picture example below:

Please check your orders tomorrow, you should have one sittin' on your desk! :D

This helped too! :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dr_shigaloo said:
walc said:
dr_shigaloo,
Please keep me posted.
not a problem i'll snap some pics tomorrow too

i should also mention that the body is not perfectly level, i have an arb bumper and the front passenger side flare is right up against it, the drivers side has i bit more room (1/4" to 1/2" - ill get some measurements on this too). But thats the really frustrating part, the tight fit getting the nut on the bolt on the drivers side is just to tight on passengers side.

short of:

loosening the body bolts
jacking the body up
insterting the nut in the front

i cant see how to make fit, and if im going that far I might as well do the body lift and then motor mount lift and then... well thats alot more than slapping on some bolt-on rock rails
The body is not level? I expect all sorts of things will cause you grief over the long haul in this event. :( Is this not something that the dealership would fix under warranty? I don't know how to help if the body is not under factory tolerances. I do know that no one has had any sort of installation difficulty I have been informed of beyond what I mentioned above. Please feel free to send me pictures of the problem to my email address directly here: [email protected] I'll try to provide as much asistance as I can and I have personally installed these on several dozen TJ's (incl. Rubicon) now. -Eddie

G

·
0 Posts
Dear Eddie,
Are you saying there are no installation issues, for the rock skidz, on a stock ( non-lifted ) Rubicon?
Obviously, I would like to know before I buy.
Thanks.
:)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
walc said:
Dear Eddie,
Are you saying there are no installation issues, for the rock skidz, on a stock ( non-lifted ) Rubicon?
Obviously, I would like to know before I buy.
Thanks.
:)[/i]
I have had 2 customers state that on their Jeep, there was a factory bolt that protruded through the floor I believe just over an inch. These folks simply cut off the excess and had no further problem. I will have detailed install instructions on this update on our online install documents by Monday or sooner if that will help out.
We really went to great lengths to make this the simplest install (short of having someone else do it) possible and I have learned that not all Jeepes are identical as evidenced from above and things can come up, all we can do is quickly react, find solutions and offer technical support if and when it does happen. We'll keep you posted. -Eddie

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ned said:
Eddie,

To begin, thank you for taking the time to field questions. Actually, the fact that I have heard so much about the customer service Raingler and Jeeeperman offer and your very complete reply here are what ultimately swayed my decision.

I'm sure you get a million requests, but if you don't mind, I'm gonna make one. I kinda like the blunt end look to the bumper...is it possible to have this as an option? Picture example below:

Please check your orders tomorrow, you should have one sittin' on your desk! :D

This helped too! :D

Yes I can have that end blunted for you, not a problem. LOL, San Diego is my second home, we'll have to catch you for a run next time we get out there (early Oct. for the Off Road Expo in Ponoma) Thanks for the feedback on our customer service, that's my job. 8)

·
Registered
368 Posts
eddie

when you did the installations on tj's with out body lifts which way did you
insert the bolt for top rear mount (bolt through front/nut on rear or bolt
through rear/nut on front)

this is my bolt on rear/nut on front drivers side skidz installed and 95% tightened

i took the measurement of the front flares on the bumper, any idea what
factory tolerances are?

the drivers side has <3/16th"

the pass side just touching

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the TJ here, the bolts face in towards the driveshafts. The top rear bolt must be put into place first (before any on the skid is mounted) and at an angle it will be able to be manuevered into position. Then install the other bolts and nuts and tighten. It will probably be impossible to do correctly if the front of the skid is already in place. let me know -Eddie

·
Registered
368 Posts
skidz installed

On the TJ here, the bolts face in towards the driveshafts. The top rear bolt must be put into place first (before any on the skid is mounted) and at an angle it will be able to be manuevered into position. Then install the other bolts and nuts and tighten. It will probably be impossible to do correctly if the front of the skid is already in place. let me know -Eddie
I got the skidz installed. It was pretty easy once you realize what needs to be done.

First start on the passenger side. The clearaces are a bit tighter (at least on my jeep) and there are no brakeline mounts mess with.

The top rear bolt needs to be inserted toward the drive shaft. Problem is it wont go in directly. I tried to work it over with the skid but I was doing this by myself. So i used the backing plate and the bolt and figured out that it needs to be inserted over the middle of the tcase area where the frame dips. Now, with no other points attached work the bolt through skidz over the frame at that point. Make sure the bolt is fully inserted or the skidz wont slide back.

note - On the drivers side it is possible to insert the bolt from the inside facing out and thread the bolt (thats what i did) On the passengers side there was not enough clearnace to get the bolt on.

once thats done the install is very straight forward

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Eddie, I have been considering this tire carrier for a long time as it was the only one that fit almost all of my needs except one. A vertical mount for a hi-lift jack. Since I wheel with alot of big trucks and have one myself I have the 60 inch hi-lift which just doesn't fit well on a jeep when mounted horizontally. Is there any chance of a vertical mount solution in the future? Lately I have been simply looking to build my own but haven't found the time yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't do a one off on that Jack mount, I could include the mounts and order it raw and have them welded on where you need them there once received if you'd like. Thanks for asking me.

·
Registered
351 Posts
SKID INSTALL

WALC, I installed the skids on my non lifted Rubi the only mod I had to do was to remove the bolt from the middle section of the stock rock rail after I had installed the skids I could hear it rubbing. The skids are super strong I have had most of the jeeps weight on them. They are great steps and look good too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts