Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started when I decided to do something this winter I haven't done since I was a kid... build a model. I chose my favorite airplane from the WWII era, the B-17 Bomber. Then I built a P-51. Then before I knew it I had a freakin' airplane factory on my dining room table.
After building a C-47 (Dakota) I read Eisenhower said "The Jeep, the Dakota airplane, and the landing craft were the three tools that won the war,”, so I built a Jeep and Landing Craft too.
Since October I've built a B-17G, B-26B, B-29, C-47D, P-51D, F4F-4, Spitfire Mk1, two P-40B's and the Jeep and Landing Craft... I currently have a B-25B on order.
I don't have an airbrush and these are the first models I've built in over 40 years, I call them "five foot" models, don't look at them closer than five feet.

All models are 1/72 scale so the Jeep is only about 1.5 inches long.

·
3,353 Posts
They are awesome. I like the B-29, it's one of my favorite aircraft. A friend of mine was a crew member on B-29's during WWII.

·
Administrator
10,542 Posts
That is way cool Guy! Great attention to detail - great winter project. Roger on the B-29, we've seen at least one in person in Arizona on static display, first pressurized bomber as far as I know. I also like the B-36 - six turning and four burning.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Those look fantastic. I don't think I have ever put a model together, looks like relaxing fun. I did glue a colleagues mouse to her desk once with dermabond. Was pretty hilarious :)

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments...
I finally finished the B-25 and hung all the models. I put them in an area that is kind of like a hall in the house.
I made a grid out of hemlock that matches the interior trim to hang them from. I have nine foot ceilings so the space isn't to crowded. Europe is on one side and Pacific is on the other.
On the wall is a printout with description of each plane, specific to that particular one, like the B-17 was the Skyway Chariot, when it was shot down and what happened to the crew etc. I made a little shelf for the Jeep and Landing Craft. The picture on the wall was given to me by a Tuskegee Airman I knew, it's of him and Jimmy Doolittle taken in 1978.

·
3,353 Posts
I need to find you a model of a fatman bomb to go along with the B-29. You've done a great job, they look fantastic!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Southeast of the Blu-Inn in the Ocotillo Wells area there is a fenced compound with a lot of airplane parts, fuselages, wings and assorted parts. There is probably 35 acres or so of it. We contacted the owner and he gave us permission to look around one day several years ago. Lots of B-25 parts, he is a partner in an operational B-25 and does a lot of work on other ones at his facility in the Chino area. Each year they would have the Last Annual Doolittle Raiders reunion, until a couple of years ago when the last Raider passed on. His storage compound is amazing, you can really see how these planes were constructed, and I was able to look inside the crankcase of Wright-Whirlwind radial engines that had been dis-assembled for parts. It was neat to see how the master rod works on a radial. He discourages visitors, seems like a lot of folks like to carry off the aluminum parts that are there. Lots of B-25's but also other types including a Sabre Jet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts