Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 48" Jackall today.....Looking for ideas on where to mount it. I am leaning towards mounting it inside the Jeep and I need to keep full access to my rear seat. I have seen some mount them across the top of the extra Jeep trunk.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm assuming that the jackall is similar to the hilift, u can use ubolts or fence bracket to clamp to your rear role bars the use quick nuts to mount it to the ubolts or the fence bracket. I will try to post some pics later today or tommorow...Jerry

·
Registered
16 Posts
It will also fit right behind the roll bar and in front of the back seat. Good Luck

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Medic3720 said:
I'm assuming that the jackall is similar to the hilift, u can use ubolts or fence bracket to clamp to your rear role bars the use quick nuts to mount it to the ubolts or the fence bracket. I will try to post some pics later today or tommorow...Jerry
Look forward to seeing the pictures....Notice we all have Inca Gold.....

·
Registered
384 Posts

Vulcan, Once I get the salt off the jeep and am able to take the back window out I shoot some more pictures...Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Does mounting a jack or anything else in this location, (behind the seat above the Add a Trunk) keep you from folding the soft top down behind the seat?

Kyle

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes it does hinder the vinyl soft top from safely being pushed down there, I am personaly working on a mount to my tire carrier for summer use, then I can lock it up and bundle the top up behind the seat..Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you mounted that about 8"'s higher it does not hinder the soft top at all. We have several around here that have done that. It does not really hurt you view out the rear window. The 33 or 35 does that. :D

Very cheap and effective way to mount the jack.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have seen a website where a guy mounted his hi-lift across those two bars in the engine compartment. I don't know the site address but I will post it if I come across it again.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really like that underhood mount! Saves the limited interior room. Most of the inside the Jeep mounts have some issues with back seat acces, rearward visibility, use of the add a trunk or folding down the soft top. I didn't really see exactly how the under hood mount works from the photo but I am assuming that the bracket bolts to the firewall? Seems like something that could be made fairly easily......Nice to have a close up photo to get a better idea how they did it.

G

·
0 Posts
My only problem with putting it under the hood is a large heavy metal (electricity conducting) object right over my battery. You could utilize the front crossmember to stuff the hi-lift(jackall) in there. Can't remember if you would need to take the handle off or not. I know there was an article on it somewhere. You would still need the side clearance to pull it out.

Ron

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the Jack and the battery are solidly mounted there should be no risk of the touching each other unless there is a crash that bends the Jeep.....

·
Registered
454 Posts
I really like the under-hood method too. There are a couple of sites I've seen with closer pics but I think it is just a couple of steel loops. I think I would probably try to use a couple of U-bolts with wing nuts. As for being close to the battery, well, I don't think it would be hard to fashion some sort of plastic cover for the battery or even just the terminals.

G

·
0 Posts
Vulcan said:
If the Jack and the battery are solidly mounted there should be no risk of the touching each other unless there is a crash that bends the Jeep.....
I was thinking more when you are pulling it out. We all know dumb things happen. A cover would work, but it would need to be strong. That head assembly on the Hi-lift is pretty heavy.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Under hood mount

The other thing about the under hood mount is that - you can't get it! Just called those folks cause it didn't say it would fit a 2003 and they said the manufactor is put all production on hold and is working through some franchise issues. :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm going with a Serious Metal Fab swing away tire carrier. It is beefy and rattle free and one of the only swing away rears that has a High Lift mount built right in as well as 2 solid 1" shackle mounts and a 2" reciever. I had one on my Landcruiser and liked it a lot. You can see these at http://www.nsor.com under "showcase". The company does not have a website yet but supplies Wash. state and Calgary Alberta (Motion Motors) as well as locally here in Vancouver BC. My buddy runs the company and is a welding artiste. I'll post my Rubi with pics soon - keep an eye out - just lifted her! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts