Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Adding a large 3 car with a lift. Old garage will be turned into a workout/hobby room.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks really fantastic so far. I will be pouring a small slab of cement soon, not looking forward to it hahaha. Also, that is a really beautiful looking neighborhood.
Thanks, I know pretty green for Texas LOL

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
House is 4 years old, and brick is still made so I lucked out there. Right side roof pitch stays the same and continues up, to match the wider foorprint. There will be a sloped and shingled front part that will make the gable smaller so it does not look weird.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3 days of framing so far. They still have to tie it into the old roof and finish sheathing. Notice how they used beams around where the lift goes so I have 15+ foot clearance.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The window on the left will be a door. Going to put in a second HVAC unit for the old garage and new one.

·
3,389 Posts
Awesome. Looks like a great design to get the lift in while matching the look of the house.

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
Recommend you use a mini-split for HVAC. For our house addition we went with a ducted mini-split - two evaporators (for two separate zones) in the attic and one outside unit that could handle three evaporators. The outside unit is right behind our bed and we literally cannot hear it running. These split systems are amazingly energy efficient (and quiet.)

Also in our addition and our new stand-alone three car garage, we had the walls and underside of the roofs spray foamed with open cell foam. In our garage I did not want a traditional ceiling so that's all open space. For heat in the garage I have a 40,000 BTU hanging forced air propane heater but you might not need any additional heat for your Houston winters. The garage is wired for a hanging fan in the center which I haven't bought yet. I also had a 50 amp outlet installed in the garage if I ever need to do any welding there.

For garage lighting I bought eight eight foot long LED bright white strip lights - the garage lights up as good as any paint booth. This might not be code for an attached garage but instead of drywall I had the guys use 1/2" plywood (grade A-B) so I don't have to play "where's the wall stud..."

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all, neighbor is a HVAC guy and he is setting up a custom system with controlled louvers and dual environment controls. In effect if either garage needs heating or cooling, vents open and close as needed so only the space that needs it gets air/heat. Plan is to finish insulating the old garage and the new one will start off insulated including insulated doors. Will keep the old one at house temperature and the new one around 85 in summer/60 in winter, adjusting the temp when I plan on doing big jobs. Unfortunately the house unit is too small to tie in another 560sqft of the old garage. Why would someone put in a 3 ton unit for a 2250sqft house in Houston?

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update, framing almost finished

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
That's coming along nice!

Any reason you're not having a man door installed? I absolutely love the one I recently installed on the side of my garage. Can still add it easier before they get too far....

Your front sidewalk from the front door looks kind of stupid now :D

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
That's coming along nice!

Any reason you're not having a man door installed? I absolutely love the one I recently installed on the side of my garage. Can still add it easier before they get too far....

Your front sidewalk from the front door looks kind of stupid now :D
I was going to ask the same question.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts