Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to install jeeperman skidz and ran into some clearance problems (see thread http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB ... php?p=4624)

Way back when i install my arb bull bar in notice the passenger side flare was touching the bumper and the drivers side had a bit of clearance. I thought maybe it needed a shim or something but basically let it go
The drivers side has 3/16", the pass in touching

well the installtion of the skidz requires clearance between the body and the frame for mounting and the passengers side is to tight

anybody have any simialr issues

ive been looking through the FSM and cant find mention of what the body tolerances are from left to right, a quick call to a local dealership got me 1/4" is within spec.

i know theres a dozen ways around to the skidz installed, the best is probably a bodylift (which is planned, but not yet) but none of them leave me with quick and easy install

thanks everybody

-dave

G

·
0 Posts
I read another post somewhere about a body not being level. In that case it was an issue of the factory tightening the ones side so much that it had compressed the factory bushings. The dealership solution was to shim it. One attempt would be to loosen all your body mount bolts and then retorque them to the factory setting. You would need to do a cross pattern to get an equal torque on all. Measure the height of the body off of the frame brackets and see if this is the case in your situation. A body lift may not fix the leaned body issue even though it would make skid installation easy.

Ron.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ron,

i measured the height of the body off of the frame brackets - they are all the same

i got the skidz installed so i'm pretty sure the front bumper thing is just the front passenger side fender.

G

·
0 Posts
Just thought of one more item. Take a look at your front snubbers on either side of the Grill, just in case that side popped out. I was out playing with mine staring at the front fenders and even put the line level out. Bumper is level, PS fender level, DS fender angled down and out, hmmm... Chalk another one up to Quality Control. I can put it right next to the fact the my PS spring bucket is 1/4" further back on the frame than the DS. No wonder my spring rubs.

Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
What are the torque specs for the body mounts? I couldn't find a listing for that in the FSM.

G

·
0 Posts
It's on page 13-1.

RADIATOR TO FRAME HOLD DOWN BOLT = 45ft/lbs
MAIN FLOOR TO HOLD DOWN BOLT = 50ft/lbs
REAR FLOOR TO FRAME BOLT = 35ft/lbs

Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
Looks like I am going to be getting under her tonight to loosen off my body bolts. Whoops.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
It's on page 13-1.

RADIATOR TO FRAME HOLD DOWN BOLT = 45ft/lbs
MAIN FLOOR TO HOLD DOWN BOLT = 50ft/lbs
REAR FLOOR TO FRAME BOLT = 35ft/lbs

Ron

Thanks Ron.

I am doing my BL this weekend. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Glad I could help you out at least one way, can't drive to canada to wrench... Watch your charcoal canister in the rear passenger wheel well.

Ron

·
Registered
653 Posts
i have the same bumper and the same rubbing on the passengers side.?? i tried like hell to fix it by shiming it but couldn't get it. but now the drivers side rubs too when the jeep flexes

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Glad I could help you out at least one way, can't drive to canada to wrench... Watch your charcoal canister in the rear passenger wheel well.

Ron
Thanks Ron...

I am only doing a 1.5" so It should be all good...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts