Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...if you aren't going to go serious off-roading?

I ask because I was planning to buy a new loaded Sport with the 30" tire option as a daily driver, then found a used Rubicon with 2000 miles on it...same color...for the same price.

Logistics makes it impossible to do a back to back comparison myself, but my concerns are that the Rubicon will be too serious for pavement use. Of course it looks great, and it would be nice to drive something a bit more unique, but will the suspension be more punishing than the Sport with the 30" tire option? What about driveability with the Rubicon's different gearing (both are automatics)? Are gripes I've read regarding the Rubicon's steering realistic?

Any thoughts and/or opinions would be appreciated...thanks in advance...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I was trying to decide on which model of TJ, I hadn't even considered the Rubicon. When I found myself going to the mountains and going off-road at least once every two weeks, I started to seriously consider a TJ with the 30" wheel/tire option. Then I started to look at the Dana 44 rear and the idea of front & rear lockers really started to weigh heavily on me. Even the salesman asked if I was sure that the Rubicon wasn't the TJ that I really wanted, after he'd looked at the spec sheet I'd printed off from the Jeep website. The reason I chose the Rubicon was because for my purposes, all the things I would eventually do to the TJ would leave me with all the things that come stock on the Rubicon. I need my TJ to also be my daily commuter. Finally, the idea of having a TJ that was under warranty and expectedly reliable appealed to my piece of mind. If I had no intention of going off-road, I probably would have bought the TJ Sport with the 30" tire/wheel option. Do I need the Rubicon? I doubt it but I know that all the time I'd be wondering what it would have been like to have it and that would leave me with many sleepless nights :lol: .

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The Gripes that you hear about the rubicon are going to be the same on any model of TJ except for the ride. If you are really not planning on doing ANY off-roading then this is most likely not the model for you. A TJ on 30" tires with 3.73 gearing is more applicable for city driving.

JMO

·
Registered
454 Posts
I owned a 2002 TJ Sport with the D44 rear end and 30" tire package and when I took out the Rubicon for the first time I honestly preferred the Rubicon ride. It felt more planted and stable. That may have had something to do with model year design iterations though (or it could have been just in my head).

The other thing you may want to think about is that there have been several complaints about parking lot maneuverability. Especially in 4-low with the lockers engaged.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The other thing you may want to think about is that there have been several complaints about parking lot maneuverability. Especially in 4-low with the lockers engaged.
Good one Triver! :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would recommend to go with the Rubicon for a few different reasons:

1 - you never know, you just may attend a Jeep Jamboree and really get a kick out of hitting the trails.

2 - resale value. When you go to sell this vehicle in 2 or 20 years...there will be tons of Sports out there. There will never be tons of Rubicons out there - as popular as they are. This is appealing not only to the potential buyer but ALSO to any dealers that may take the Jeep in on trade.

Then again...all Jeep are fun to drive!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I drove a new sport and a Rubicon back to back.....I noticed that the Rubicon was much flatter in the turns....Perhaps the stiffer sidewall tires? Get the Rubicon...much better Jeep than the sport with all the options. When they are offering you an even money deal between the pair...taking the Rubicon is easy!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
triver525 said:
Such dry humor. If I didn't know better, Iwould have thought you were serious. :D Were you?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The rubicon will corner better due to stiffer springs and shocks

but this better handling will also make you feel the road more
which some people equate to being uncomfortable

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your responses. I had a chance to drive the Rubicon, and it was much more civilized than I had anticipated. It did, in fact, feel more smooth than the last Sport (soft-top) I drove; perhaps the extra weight of the Rubicon plus the hardtop kept it from being as bouncy on its springs.

Unfortunately, it is not an automatic (as it was advertised), and it has vinyl interior, which will keep me from purchasing it. However, thanks to your responses, which prompted me to drive the Rubicon, I will be looking for another.

If anybody is interested, it is for sale at Galpin Motors in Los Angeles...silver/black vinyl 5-speed with hardtop only, AC, CD, add-a-trunk, privacy glass, 1800 miles, clean CARFAX, and with original body panels (not stripped or wrecked). They're asking $24.9k, but appear very eager to move the vehicle for much less.

elff said:
The rubicon will corner better due to stiffer springs and shocks
Does the Rubicon really have stiffer springs and shocks? To quote Jeep's sales brochure "Wrangler's trail-proven Quadra-Coil suspension was not changed for the Rubicon. Why? It works. 'Nuff said."

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The design was not changed
But there are different shocks and coils that are more heavy duty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts