Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
I have used WIX on everything for many decades. Exception was on my LJ with the 4.0 I used a donaldson big filter.
In the old days the K&N was a good filter. I think now not so good. If you can see through a air filter I am not a fan.

·
3,525 Posts
I primarily use Wix and Donaldson on everything. I also have some Baldwin filters (for fuel and oil)

Reactions: DAA

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
The K&N was the bottom of the heap as far as trapping particulate matter according to ProjectFarm testing.
Yes they are. Back in the old days when the K&N came out it was meant as a Motorcycle race filter. That was 50 years ago. Those were hand made filters that had a heavier gauze in them or something. They worked good. I think the company didn't go commercial till the early 70's.
There was another start up company about that time which built similar filters for commercial usage. You could give them dimensions and they would build a filter. The company was too small and the filters were too expensive. I had a neighbor farmer who had them in most of his tractors. The oil these filters used was just standard 30 wt oil. The company did not make it. But the filters were very tough. You could steam clean them and they wouldn't fall apart.
Remember Frantz toilet paper filters? LOL I used them as a bypass filtration on a Allis Chamblers track layer with a GMC 4-71 engine. The canister took 3 rolls of TP. Only issue they had was users not getting the correct type of toilet paper and the rolls would either disintegrate or channel. IIRC they suggested a single ply TP. My dad used a 2 roll filter in his '62 Chevy small block. He still had the factory filter so the engine had a couple extra quarts. Those are still made. I am thinking about using one as a bypass filet on my RAM 3.0 Ecodiesel.

·
Administrator
10,998 Posts
About five or six years ago we were getting our coach chassis serviced (Freightliner pusher with a Cummins ISL - 8.3L straight 6) and next to us at Freightliner service was another coach with a very similar chassis and the same engine. That coach was there because the engine was dusted according to the service manager. The story was Camping World installed the air filter wrong so they were culpable for the $25K engine overhaul and new turbo. We had to have a head job done at 85k miles due to high blowby :mad:, Cummins had a valve guide problem circa 2005 - the year of our coach.

·
Administrator
10,998 Posts
LOL! He has quite the engineering mindset and he's a very good presenter (and a bit addicting!) To me he's like the Consumer Reports for everything that I'm interested in without the social BS. I broke down and subscribed to YouTube Premium so I could skip commercials - ProjectFarm has commercials in the middle which always drove me crazy.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts