Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question to you all is this. My rig is my daily driver...I dont do long hauls with it..i have a Tahoe for that, I drive it around town...to work..etc...is a 5.5 RELA overkill...I like 4wheeling and will definatley get my moneys worth out of it but will it be street worthy? Also I figure I will definatly need a new DS but will it be driveable till I can afford one or will i not be able to drive it till I get one? Thanks in advance
PEte M

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
With the LA you will be fine driving on the street. However.. If you are not getting a DS right away you will have to pull the rear DS untill you get one and drive in 4 HI. Won't be a problem as long as you don't turn hard in the parking lot.

G

·
0 Posts
Hmm the 5.5" Kit looks real cool!!! I would go for it. I wish I could have afforded it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Think tire size first. I would go with the 5.5 if I wanted 37's. 35's fit too. 33's are way too small for that lift

G

·
0 Posts
That is so true.. 33's would probably end up looking downright dorky on there with that lift.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
First of all, you don't need a BL to fits 35s with the 5.5 kit, and because the T-Case skid is almost 2" lower than a non Rubicon 5.5 kit, the control arm angles are really good making the daily drive fine.
It does not look bad with 33s but they dont quite fill the wheel wells

But it does look much better with 35s

Different angle

It has taken me a couple of weeks to dial in my setup with 35s, but now that I have, I am constantly amazed at how well a vehicle this tall with 35s drives.

G

·
0 Posts
Man, that looks great.. Your killing me here...

I just figured out my lift is going to somebody in Salt Lake City, and I am in the Denver area.. Thanks UPS!! NOT!!!!!! AAHHHRRRGGG!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
OK I am looking at doing the RE Long arm kit with the 3.5 coils and 33 MTR tires. What do you all think of this for a daily driver that gets to go out and play on the weekends?

G

·
0 Posts
Well sure!!! I think the long arm kit is probably a little over kill.

Get the 4.5" SF Short Arm and have them sub the coils.

Even those coils sit over 4" higher these days when it is all said and done.

G

·
0 Posts
OK I am looking at doing the RE Long arm kit with the 3.5 coils and 33 MTR tires. What do you all think of this for a daily driver that gets to go out and play on the weekends?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
It will ride great. In fact, if you increase your width a little with better backspacing/spacers, you might even handle better than stock

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well I been finding myself working on my jeep and a buddies jeep. On my rubicon I have a 4 1/2" rubicon express super flex short arm kit with front and back adjustable track bars, with OME shocks, Monroe steering damper. I had bought my kit with the 3 1/2" spring, But they settled to a 2" lift so they sended me 4 1/2 " springs and its way up there. Now for the other jeep I think I'm starting to own it, I just installed a 5.5" rubicon express long arm lift kit. I though my jeep was tall with 33" tires, this thing has 35" tires and we had to let the air out of the tires to get it out of the garage. The kit went on pertty good, But a lot of work, drill 10 1" holes, and some welding. Its a jeep thing and yes you'll need a new driveshaft. :lol:
John

·
Registered
316 Posts
You'll be happy with the long arm kit. It's worth the time, effort, and money. Good ride on the street (as good or better than stock) and great flex offroad. I run the 4.5" springs and 1" body lift, 35" MTR's and have no clearance issues.

Until recently I was running the RE LA's but have switched over to the Toys by Troy Alumiflex LA's, which include triangulated rear uppers (no rear track bar :D ). Troy said his arms save about 120 lbs compared to the RE arms. The ride and handling are now much improved. (To be fair I also had the TBT alumiflex crossover steering system installed which relocates the drag link and front track bar so they are horizontal. I think the good front track bar angle contributed to the improved ride).

Anyway here's some pictures. In the first one the RE LA's are still on and the rest are with the alumiflex.

Brad

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Brad W. said:
which include triangulated rear uppers (no rear track bar
YOOOOUUU SUUUUUUUCK

And I say that out of complete jealousy
:)

I really like that front steering setup!!!
Do you have any pics of the triangulated rear??

very nice jeep. Well done on your part and TBT.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I really like that front steering setup!!!
Do you have any pics of the triangulated rear??

very nice jeep. Well done on your part and TBT.
Thanks! The only bad part is that up until swaping the LA's and having the steering done I had done all the work myself. I can't say that anymore... I added some pictures of the steering and suspension to the album.

Brad

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
OK
So if I am seeing this correctly
TBT re-used the RE front drop trackar bracket
eliminated a drop pitman arm.
Welded custom brackets to the axle housing and knuckles for the Drag Link, Trackbar and steering stabilizer.

Were there able to completely re-use the RE-T-Case skid Control arm mounts?

·
Registered
316 Posts
elff said:
OK
So if I am seeing this correctly
TBT re-used the RE front drop trackar bracket
eliminated a drop pitman arm.
Welded custom brackets to the axle housing and knuckles for the Drag Link, Trackbar and steering stabilizer.

Were there able to completely re-use the RE-T-Case skid Control arm mounts?
You're mostly correct. On the steering he re-used the drop trackbar bracket because I had it welded on. I did not have a drop pitman arm installed. You're correct about the custom bracket.

On the suspension his LA's use the RE cross member. The bracket on the rear axle is bolt on. The exhaust had to be reworked in front to clear the front upper long arm. The muffler had to be relocated again to clear the rear upper. I did not want to go any higher so only had to replace the arms themselves. I started out to get only the rear uppers triangulated but when I realized the TBT arms use johnie (sp?) joints throughout including on the axle ends I went ahead and got them. The rubber bushings on the RE arms were already badly worn after only 6000 mi. Troy plans to market the LA's in kit form soon so it should be very easy for anyone with a RE LA kit to swap without buying a new skid, shocks, brake lines, etc.

Well, gotta go to work now. Talk to you later...

Brad

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
BABY

I see a Triangulated Rear suspension in my future!!!!!!!

Thanks for the information.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts