Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 rubicon JLU
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone painted the interior of there hard top? I want to add a hot head sound insulation system but want to paint the interior black to match. Exterior is black as well.

·
3,669 Posts
I'm sure someone has, but I haven't seen one. Should be quick and easy with a spray paint of your choice.

Reactions: mac

·
Administrator
15,145 Posts
i used "Hot Headliner " fit perfect in 3 of my Rubicon's
good people to deal with and it was not to expensive

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is a write-up and links to youtube videos of interior painting and custom headliner. I like his results.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
I took mine to a local upholstery shop about 12-14 years ago and had them cover the interior with generic automotive carpeting material. They cut the carpet to fit and did an excellent job. I didn't want white or black so I picked gray. It did quiet the interior in addition to reduce the heat from the top. I'm happy with it still.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used Lizard Skin for other automotive applications. They have a ”sound control” and ceramic ”heat control” product. It’s available in a white and charcoal color. The application is textured. They are both water based, easy to apply and can be sprayed without a paint booth.

Had my after market had top not come with carpet, I would have used the ceramic heat control in charcoal color without a topcoat.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,123 Posts
Painting the interior of the hard top and having it last is a bit more complicated than you think. The hard top is molded, so there is residual mold release agent. Add to that other contaminants, oil from touching... and you have a layer of paint unfriendly stuff. The first thing before painting is to prep the surface. a good wash soap and water, and rinse well to remove residual soap. Then wash with trisodium phosphate (not the fake stuff, true TSP). it is one of the best degreasers out there. Wear gloves and goggles, and avoid getting it on you, it is not toxic, just can irritate skin. Rinse well and the best bet is to add an plastic adhesion primer. They sell it in rattle cans at auto supply places. make sure to mask everything you do not want to paint very well, spray paint has a way of getting on everything.Then paint with whatever paint you like. Just be aware that a white hardtop makes it brighter inside the jeep, and a black interior will really make it much darker. If you do decide to paint it black, brighter interior LEDS are necessary.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Another idea... Because of the heat radiating on my head from the summer sun in my 05 Rubicon I made a headliner by using self stick foam rubber sided aluminum insulation found at Home Depot and then used contact cement to attach auto carpet. It looked good and was very good sound proofing and stopped the radiant heat well. I followed instructions found on the internet. My neighbor now has my Jeep and enjoys the benefits.

Utah BDR north of Mexican Hat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts